Starting CCENT

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by AgentDRL, Jul 29, 2010.

1. AgentDRL

AgentDRL Nibble Poster

Hello all,

I've just started out studying for my CCENT. Delving into this a bit at work since the turn of the year (since one of the network engineers got the boot!). I mainly do system/server admininstration currently, and the manager asked would I be up for doing more network admin work. I thought 'cool'. But I wonder what I've let myself in for :-). I suppose it'll make me a more rounded IT support person, so I shouldn't complain. Gone through the basics with the guys about configuring switches, but it would be nice to get the commands burned in my brain so to speak.

So, any recommendations for study material? I hear good things about the CBT Nuggets vid training. I do learn better visually rather than reading from a book, but I won't dismiss reading one. I know a home lab is probably better than router simulations, but which of the ones would you go for? And lastly, how much does the exam cost currently? I might do it out of my own pocket, but will sound out work first about paying for the exam.

Strange thing is that in my last job (left there July '09 - mainly did 2nd line desktop support), the senior network engineer asked if I wanted a couple of Catalyst 3560 Series switches (I think that's what they were), an IP phone and a 800 series router to take home. I knocked him back because I didn't think I'd be doing any network admin work, only server :-(! Plus the mrs wouldn't have been too happy with me taking up more room in the house with my 'computer stuff' as she puts it, lol! Oh how I regret that decision. Anybody got a time machine so I can go back 13 months? :-)

Cheers

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
    Certifications: ITIL v3, A+, Network+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That sounds like a great opportunity, DRL! It's good to see that you want to get trained up so you can do well at the job. :)

I generally recommend Cisco Press and Sybex for Cisco exams, and this exam is no exception. Both are good books, and each will cover any holes in coverage that the other book might have.

Hands-on experience is a must, and real gear is always preferable to simulators. However, a rack of gear can e expensive and consume a lot of space. Simulators can be a worthwhile alternative. I would recommend that you download demos of each of the well-known simulators (RouterSim, Boson NetSim - version 8 coming soon) and compare them for yourself.

I'm obviously a fan of practice exams, considering I write them for a living (including the CCENT one!). If you need the exam practice, I'd recommend that you download demos from trusted practice exam providers (MeasureUp, PrepLogic, SelfTest, Transcender, and mine from Boson) and compare the quality for yourself.

Although I don't care much for video-based training, I usually hear good things about CBT Nuggets and Trainsignal. Again, get the demo and check them out! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. AgentDRL

AgentDRL Nibble Poster

Thanks for the advice BM. Would definitely like to get this done before the end of the year. If I take the exam at the end of the year (and pass it hopefully), I'd have had 12 months experience configuring Cisco kit roughly, so I'll then see where I might take it (ICND2 maybe).

I was thinking about doing my MCITP, but most of my experience to date is in Win2k3 (which is getting phased out slowly here for Win 2k8) and Exchange 2007. So until I get more Win2k8 I probably won't go near this. Big virtualisation project kicking off at the end of the summer, so I've put my name forward to attend a VMware course for a week. Get the feeling I'm being pushed down the networking route (which I don't mind) because my manager was very impressed with how quickly I picked up that side of things in my appraisal. Even one of the CCNP qualified network engineers (with bags of experience supposedly, lol) asks me for ideas and advice :)!

I am more into my server building/configuring personally, so I don't want to spread myself too thin taking on the virtualisation project so to speak. And with the MPLS project going on (taking out the IP stream), there's a lot on my plate. You should see the pile of notes I've made since being here! Filled up two A4 note pads of scribble (which only I can decipher :)). My colleagues call it 'The Bible'.

Certifications: ITIL v3, A+, Network+
  4. StoneTZ

StoneTZ Bit Poster

I'm using the Cybex book right now and I really like it. I'm getting ready to test in a few days so we'll see how that works out. I've also used CBT nuggets and Trainsignal in the past. I like both but I might prefer the Trainsignal. If I had to chose I'd go with it. Can't really lose with either though.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Net+, CCNA
  5. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

I went to night school to do the full ccna after the end of the first year i did my ccent followed by ccna the following year. I used cisco press books as there is a lot of cisco knows best stuff to learn as well as ios commands. I used packet tracer sim software pretty easy to use. I paid £72 quid for the exams but i got discount vouchers as i passed the netacad exams first time think it work out £20 for ccent anf £50 for CCNA. I would recommend night school as you get hands on the kit and the netacad online learning plus it keeps you motivated. Good luck

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST