Starting A+

Discussion in 'A+' started by DGJ, Feb 11, 2009.

1. DGJ

DGJ New Member

Hi everyone,

I am intending on starting the A+ course asap. I have been looking through the Mike Meyers' A+ Certification Passport to get a better understanding of the course. I intend to buy the A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide as this appears to be the best text book out there.

I do have a couple of questions on how to get the qualifications. I was considering going through a distance learning college such as the Pitman Group or some of the local colleges. Would cost about £425 for the course and material plus they have quoted around £125 for each of the exams. Is it worth my while doing these courses or should I just work my way through the All-in-One guide. I do have a spare computer and i will probably get another one to tinker around with.

There is also a chance I may lose my current job in the next month so thought I could look for a tech job and try get some practical experience. Does anyone know of any websites I could look through for some kind of trainee position. I live in Scotland so if you have any pointers it would be a great help. Could be difficult to find such a position due to the current problems all over the country but I may as well try you never know what may pop up.

Any info u can give would be great. Cheers.

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I would always recommend self study and not forking out loads of cash to a training company. It's funny they are say £125 per exam for the A+ when if you pay the full cost it comes £111 per exam.

Just to add if you visit www.gracetechsolutions.com then you can buy two international vouchers for £107 each you book the exams through pearsonvues website and you'll find your nearest test center there too.

If you have the passport book and AIO book then your all set, just so you know the passport is for exam revision for studying the objectives then that what AIO is for.

Welcome to CF:D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Another vote for self-study. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

If you do it at local college they will charge you less for exams
    you shouldn't be paying £250

college is £130 total for the 2
    £65 per exam.

pitman may charge you £250

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  5. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

£675 to pass the A+ (without figuring in the cost of a practice PC and additional study aids, which will probably take it to around £800)? They're having a laugh!
    My advice to anyone thinking of studying for the A+ would be: buy Meyers AIO and try self-study first. If self-study is not for you at least you have additional study material on top of whatever your college/TP provides.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job