Started 70-271

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Pheonicks56, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

Well I took the plunge today and decided to start work on the 70-271 toward my MCDST. I'm hoping to be finished with the whole certification before we transfer to San Diego at the end of September. I skipped Network+ for the moment because I'm waiting on Mike Meyers' new edition to be published and available on Amazon and figured while I was waiting I could start work on this. Anyone have any good advice and/or free resources on the net? Thanks to everyone for making these forums as good as they are.

MCDST Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-271): Supporting Users and Troubleshooting a Microsoft® Windows® XP Operating System, Second Edition (Pro-Certification) (Hardcover)

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Good luck with the MCDST, another good resource that I recommend is the Sybex MCDST book.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Indeed, I used both books to pass the 271. The questions in the MS book are pretty good though, and it does a good job of breaking topics down.
    A little tip- read some of the articles they point out in the MS book- some are pretty useful.

4. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

A colleague of mine passed the 70-271 using just the M$ book and on the job experience (we use windows XP at work) her opinion was that it is a quite straightforward exam.

I guess It wouldn't hurt to set up a virtual machine or two with the trial version of windows xp that is bundled with the book.

Anyway, good luck with your studies. :biggrin

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

yep i passed 70-271 with what I have been doing at work and a very quick read of the MS press book. I failed the 70-272 though but I hadn't read the book and though I could do both on the same day like I did the A+:blink:D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

i'm doin that on the 7th gbl
    i've been told that it should be fairly simple considering i've passed 270 / 290
    i need to find a cramsheet thingy to revise specifics before the exam- so i dont fail on 'minimum speed of processor needed to run xp' etc

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  7. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

God I hate waiting on Amazon to ship my books to me, every time I pick up a brain candy novel instead of a cert book or something for Uni I feel guilty and unproductive. Hopefully only a week left till my book M$ press book for 271 arrives. Till then Jeffrey Deaver and David Baldacci have my attention.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Check out the preplogic website. they have some cramsheets for both exams. They are roughly 30 pages long (with some advertising) so quite easy to pick up and finish before each exam.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

IMO the cram-sheets don't help. Cramming never really helps. You need to have a thorough understanding of the material and do as many practice tests (such as the bundled Readiness Review suite) as possible until you're obtaining consistently decent marks.

The only 'remember these numbers and spit them out when required' part of the MCDST is the minimum specs required to upgrade/run XP. Just re-read it a couple of times until it sticks.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA