St George's day!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Leehaa, Apr 23, 2007.

1. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Bang on there :clap

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

So what's the answer?

Immigrate to another country? stay in this country and stick our heads in a bucket of sand?

I overheard some bloke in the pub the other day telling a joke which he thought was funny but no one laughed and here it is:-

An African flees from his home country and arrives in England he is given a house and money to live on by social services. He is so happy with this he decides to say thankyou to the English people for his new life. He walks around his neighbour hood knocking on doors. The first door he comes to a Indian answers it, no no english man here the second door he tries a Polish person answer it and says - no, no englsh man lives here the third house he comes to a Muslim answers it.

The African asks the muslim where are all the English people? The Muslim reply's - you won't find any English people here, those poor bast@rds are all at work!!

It got quite a strange reaction in the pub. Few mumbles and then back to talking about the weather and football:blink

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Cheers Mate:thumbleft

It's sad but a true fact of life over here:(

We are taxed on our wages, savings and private pensions.

The only people who don't pay tax are the politicians:dry

I don't know why they don't change their job titles from Politican to Professional Liar's?

At least that would be Politically Correct.:p :biggrin

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I normally stay out of what ends up being a political discussion, but here I will just say one thing:

Regardless of race, gender or other, those that want to achieve in life will. Those that don't, won't.

Notice that I said achieve there not get rich, have easy life provided to them, etc. To achieve is one's own destiny, this means different things to different people.

8)

5. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Good Point Simon

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

What about those people who join a fancy Sport/Leisure club like Holmes or Esporta
    spend over £300 on a membership, do circuit training, swimming, cycling and yet when they go shopping they can't even be bothered to put the trolley away. :rolleyes:

What's that all about?

How many calories would they burn if they push the trolley to the trolley park? Instead they leave it in the middle of the car park like this story.

So other drivers have to get out of their car and move it if they want to park.

Someone pushed a trolley across the car park towards the trolley park area. Well it missed and went into the back of my car, nice dent and a broken light. By the time I got out of the car to see who it was the little B@stard drove off.:x

7. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

WTF is Edee?!?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  8. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Sorry - just thought that may have caused offence - didn't mean to...but I really don't know what it is??? :oops:

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I think he means 'Eid' - its a Muslim festival marking the end of Ramadan. Its typically a pretty boisterous affair, as it marks the end of a period of fasting and reflection for Muslims - meaning they can once again eat during daylight hours, drink alcohol and generally 'let their hair down'

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

I don't think Muslims are supposed to drink alcohol.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  11. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The only muslim I know doesn't! :biggrin

12. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Depends on your interpretation of the Qu'ran. Most people think that the literal interpretation of most of Muhammad's teachings is what the vast majority of the Muslim world follows - but this simply isn't true. There are plenty of muslim sects which don't interpret every passage in the Qu'ran as being 'literal' - they use it much like Christians use the bible - as a set of guidelines to be followed that enable you to live life in a safe, harmonious and peaceful way.

Some muslims completely abstain from all alcohol, some drink in moderation and some (admittedly more 'westernised' muslims) treat alcohol as an intoxicant. I've played cricket and football with plenty of 'practising' (meaning 'observant' muslims) who drank alcohol.

I think the confusion may arise because strict muslims are more likely to ram down your throat the fact that they are Muslims, and are, accordingly, more likely to put their point of view across - namely that Islam strictly forbids alcohol from being consumed.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  13. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Yes you're right Zeb, it is down to interpretation of the Qu'ran. There are those that follow it to the latter and those that have their own understanding.

I have quite a few muslim friends, who I would say were typical of anyone with religious beliefs and common sense. They love their religion and follow it as they have been taught by their peers, yet they do not force it up on other people and pretty much keep their religion private unless questioned about it.

All of these guys do not drink alcohol and that is why I have the impression that your average Joe Muslim doesn't (shouldn't) drink alcohol. But like you said, it is down to interpretation of the religion and what you feel your God wants you to do. 8)

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270