SQLSERVER hogging CPU?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mattgrey, Sep 16, 2010.

1. mattgrey

mattgrey Nibble Poster

At work we have a server running Windows XP Pro and 4 PCs connected to it also running XP Pro.

The PC's do very little aside run the till software Calculus V6 Pro for SQL.

The tills keep hanging when doing certain tasks, namely booking deliveries. When they hang the server CPU is at 90%+ in device manager with SQLSERVER listed as using the most resources.

I know the information given here is very limited but I don't really know where to go for advice or what info to give to help anyone diagnose the problem:blink.

Any thoughts/suggestion/advice from anyone greatly appreciated.

Certifications: none yet!
    WIP: A+
  2. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Whats the version of SQL inc. Service packs

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  3. mattgrey

mattgrey Nibble Poster

Really sorry but how do I find out?

4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

To find out the service pack version of your SQL server click on start - programs - Microsoft SQL Server - SQL Server Management Studio. The big bold in brackets (SQL Server 9.0.xxxx) is the service pack number or version.

You can also find this out by clicking on Help on the top left of the server whilst logged on to the database server engine in SQL. The dialogue box that appears would have all this info listed starting with the service pack version and number for your SQL database server.

Cheerio and best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. mattgrey

mattgrey Nibble Poster

There is no entry under all programs for Msoft SQL Server. And you totally lost me on the next paragraph!

I have just found out that the server is in fact a simple PC, not a dedicated server. Is is an off the shelf PC running XP Pro if that makes any difference!

6. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Might be listed as MSDE(Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine)

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  7. mattgrey

mattgrey Nibble Poster

There is nothing listed under programs that has anything related to SQL in the name?:rolleyes:

:(

8. mattgrey

mattgrey Nibble Poster

and nothing in control panel either.

9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Sorry to say this but XP is not a server OS and shouldn't be considered as such.

If you're wanting to run a client\server based application you would be better off actually running it on a proper server.

As far as finding out the version of the SQL that's running on the machine, do you have a SQL Server Management Studio? If so, run that and that should tell you the version you're running.

At a guess I would suggest that you probably need to get a proper server installed, migrate and upgrade the existing SQL db and point the clients at the new server.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  10. mattgrey

mattgrey Nibble Poster

Not the response I wanted, but kind of the one I expected!!

Thanks all.

11. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Now I actually don't know how to take that one.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  12. mattgrey

mattgrey Nibble Poster

lol, nothing against you!!

I did suspect someone would tell me this when I found out the 'server' was in fact just a PC!

New server ordered and on it's way!

13. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Theres two things that could be happening :-

1. The server is under too much load and failing

Undertake load testing and sizing exercise. Run tracing or profiling tools etc to see what is happening, also look at logs and performance counters. After sizing exercise decide on new hardware and purchase.

2. The application is doing something to cause the DB to crash or lock up.

There could be deadlocked transactions etc or you could have just triggered a known bug.

Similar to above, ensure all relevant service packs and hotfixes are installed. Use suitable monitoring and investigation tools to investigate the issue. If appears related to hotfix problem solved. If appears related to third party application, escalate to their support department and raise a ticket. Consider possible workarounds until a fix is receieved, maybe you can reboot the server each night or run cleanup scripts or triggers etc.

Theres a number of ways to find SQL version, heres some based on T-SQL :-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321185

Management studio might be an easier way though. You must have something listed under control panel / programs and features.

Trouble is there are multiple versions and editions of MS SQL server so the exact name can vary.

Taskmgr will show the installation directory of the process if you right click it and select properties. (You may need to first select show processes for all users).

What do you have under program files directory ?

eg.
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server

SQL server should actually be running as a windows service and hosted by a service executable called sqlservr.exe. Each named instance could have a separate service.

Also why are you being asked to fix this if you know nothing about computers ?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  14. mattgrey

mattgrey Nibble Poster

Thanks for the reply, lots of suggestions in there. I haven't looked in the programs director but will do tomorrow. I don't think it is fair to say I know nothing about computers(:oops:) but this problem is beyond my level of knowledge. I wasn't asked to sort it, just trying to save my company the cost of a new server.

Thanks again.

15. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well it depends on the business, a decent desktop could well do the job if the HA features of server hardware are not required. In fact some low end servers are pretty much desktops.

Client / Server is an architectural aspect or part of application / protocol design, it need have nothing to do with what hardware or software you run.

XP Professional is not a proper server OS in terms of MS licensing, features are typically removed or disabled in the client versions of MS's OS. There are restrictions on what versions of MS SQL Server can be installed on what operating systems, the more powerful versions tend to require a server version of the OS but this is largely down to licensing and revenue generation for MS. If you want to install the enterprise or datacentre versions you will definitely need a server OS. However I doubt that four XP clients will require anything more than the standard edition unless you need HA features from the higher editions or you have a very large DB or require a lot of performance.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010