Spelling and Grammar?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by juice142, Jun 14, 2007.

1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Sentences like Whatever and I'm I bothered.

Lets go a step further with this thread and ask the question what if CF had a spelling/grammar button similiar to word.

Would you use it?

Would it bring the message across clearer, would the members welcome this function?

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Whatever! :biggrin

3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thank you Teacher :biggrin

4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

You're welcome :twisted:

And to answer your question, I don't think a spell checker would be welcomed, and I don't think it would be a good idea.

Why?

Certforums is quite obviously an international site; we get lots of different nationalities posting on here. The first issue would be the little spelling differences between American and English; whoever was on the receiving end of the 'wrong' dictionary (and you won't catch me using inappropriate Z's :p ) would be really annoyed with it.

Also, users whose first language wasn't English would probably struggle, as it might suggest a lot of words they weren't familiar with.

Maybe as an optional function, it would be fair.

But I don't need a dictionary, because I'm uber, and anyone that argues that will be kicked in the nads 8)

(And yes, I know the 'u' in 'uber' strictly requires an umlaut)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

You have, once again, failed to understand what I was getting at, so let me give a few examples.

People who write 'your' instead of 'you're'.
    People who do not understand the concept or correct usage of an apostrophe.
    People who never capitalise.
    People who cannot write in paragraphs.
    People who don't understand the difference between it's and its
    People who write 'their' instead of 'there' or 'they're'
    People who say 'pacifically' instead of 'specifically'

All of those - and hundreds more - have been put down to 'mild dyslexia' either directly to me or by way of an explanation as to why they were used in emails, letters or conversation.

Any of those look like dyslexia to you?

And why on Earth are you bringing learning difficulties into it? I have already stated - at length - that 'real' dyslexics have a serious condition, that is not helped in the slightest by people who just can't be bothered to learn to spell or punctuate correctly, saying they have a 'mild' case of it.

Is it a coincidence that most of the people who have told me they were 'mildly dyslexic' also couldn't perform basic arithmetic? No - i suspect it's more a case of them pissing around in school when they should have been learning. And this, by the way, comes from someone who got only four GCSEs at school.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. Quarky

Quarky Byte Poster

Ok, i get your standpoint on that. I am only going to say one final thing in realtion to you believeing that i don't understand what you are getting at.

let me use your examples for example.

Now, it is possible for a person to NOT have what could be considered a very serious condition of dyslexia, a condition that is 'mild' lets say, something that doesn't cause serious problems.- it comes in many forms and cannot always be spotted immediately

here's a quick link to show some of the extensible symptoms which can or cannot be shown :http://www.dyslexia.com/library/symptoms.htm

Now, you ask why i bring 'learning difficulties' into it ? Well, even 'mild' dyslexia can cause learning to be difficult. So difficult in fact that it is very hard to learn the difference between writing 'your' and 'you're' or even the correct use of an apostrophe as you so kindly have pointed out.

Please try and understand what I am getting at, Dyslexia causes learning to be difficult, please dont be surprised if a complete stranger writes a post that doesn't conform to the general and accepted level of spelling or grammar, you have absolutely no idea of that persons ability or background, i find it quite uneasy that some people are so quick to be judgmental of a persons spelling and grammar, we are not all einstein you know !! (who was actually dyslexic - lol)

I am not going to go on any more about this, its turning into something larger than the post intended i think. :D

Once more, my post started as an intended point about tolerance.

Certifications: A+,270,271,272 (MCDST)
    WIP: Master CIW
  7. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Realtion?

That's just lazy.

I'm voling it!

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  8. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

While I totally agree with most, if not all of your points (especially the touchy feely bit), I'm just wondering if you are saying that there are no DEGREES of Dyslexia. If this IS what you are saying, and you are proved to be wrong, are you not putting the label of LAZY on people who may honestly be suffering from a condition that you feel very strongly about?

EDIT: Scrub this post (I didn't realise there was another page). Asked and answered.

One more thing. Am I the only one who DOES have a spell checker?????

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I think what Zeb is saying is that there are people that are hiding behind ‘mild dyslexia’ when they are just lazy in regard to spelling and grammar.

Fair point IMO 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

It IS a fair point, but exactly WHO is the judge? Don't lets pretend that our opinions relate to fact.

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I accept that i was lazy to a degree during my schooldays. However, the school i attended did nothing to encourage me to want to learn, in fact it was an horrendous place during those years and probably still is. You may have heard of Lanfranc? :eek:

I don't accept that i am a thick bastard though.. I think the choice of those words is somewhat over the top Zeb :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Lanfranc?

Ye Gods - it's a wonder you learned to write your own name and that 2 + 2 = 4...

:biggrin

13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I know :ohmy :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Seriously mate - it hasn't got any better.

That said, those tables don't prove much, because the knuckle-draggers churned out by Tenison are arguably worse...

15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I have a spell checker on Word, but I don't use it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'm not thick... I'm big boned!!! :ohmy

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  17. shambles

shambles Guest

I think the accusation that 'people are lazy about spelling' or 'can't be bothered to get it right' is just plain wrong. Some people spell and construct sentences well, others do not. This might be about educational standards, it might be about something else.

Personally, I think language, grammar, speech are all about context. What is right for a lawyer writing a contract, would be completely wrong for Frank Sinatra writing a letter to his mafia buddies about a contract. Similarly, what might be right for a CV may not be right for here - don't forget that what we are doing here is something that up until a few decades ago would have been impossible. No other generation has been in the situation where they can have almost real-time conversations with other people from all over the globe in writing. Of course the rules are a bit hard and fast. A forum such as this one cannot be expected to use the same rules regarding grammar as everywhere else - we are effectively doing speech, but using a tool designed for a different purpose. That's why we have emoticons and fonts and type styles to play with - they allow us to add something to written English that isn't normally there. Txt is quick. If you know the rules, it is easily understandable. Surely it is perfect for this sort of situation, where spending time to check your apostrophes just gets in the way of actually communicating?

Innit?

18. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

I concur :biggrin

That's spot on shambles :rocks

19. Quarky

Quarky Byte Poster

Excellent point, well made !! :D

Certifications: A+,270,271,272 (MCDST)
    WIP: Master CIW
  20. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Yep I'm guilty of laziness - as was lazy at school! My grammer is not that good :(

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...