Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS or Audigy 4?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SolidSponge, Feb 17, 2006.

1. SolidSponge

SolidSponge Bit Poster

Having a bit of a problem choosing between these 2 cards. Not looking to spend much on a sound card (around £50), but I want to get rid of my awful AC97 on-board sound.
    Anyway, which is the better of these two cards? I'd assume it's the Audigy 4, but the Audigy 2 is actually more expensive than the 4. Maybe because it comes with a front I/O plate? I'm not sure?
    Any ideas guys?

Certifications: A+, MCP (70-270)
    WIP: 70-290
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

What is the problem with the on-board sound? I generaly defy most people to tell on-board from Audigy with the crap speakers that most people have, and for usual use.

On the other hand - if you are doing some serious sound recording then I would understand, but then I wouldn't touch Audigy either!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. SolidSponge

SolidSponge Bit Poster

I use my PC for gaming, a lot, and on board isn't good enough.
    I've realised this recently as I've bought a Logitech 5.1 system from a friend. I'm saving up for my wedding at the moment, so I'm kind of limited to what I can spend, hence me picking a cheap-ish card.
    And what's wrong with Audigy? I've had Creative in the past (old sound blaster cards) and they seem to be decent. If I wasn't putting all my money away, then I'd go for something in the X-Fi range. But as it stands I can't, unless I wait 6 months.

Certifications: A+, MCP (70-270)
    WIP: 70-290
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Ah! You hadn't mentioned gameing! I now understand why you would want to get something like an Audigy!

In the high end recording world the Audigy has a number of problems and other cards are preferred.

For games, and ordinary home recording, the Audigy is an excelent card though.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Davver

Davver Bit Poster

I agree with you Hbroom. DOn't see the point on spending shed loads on the latest sound board when the onboard sound works fine. Even for gaming. I've been gaming for years and have used nothing but AC97 onbaord and have never had any issues. Check your Driver fella!

I do, however have a SOund Blaster Audigy2 Platinum on my other machine (used for music mixing) and it works a treat. THough you will pay extra for the front panel control plate!

Certifications: Diploma IT
    WIP: A+
  6. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I'd always use a sound card for gaming, you'd be surprised how big a load it will take off the CPU.

By the way SolidSponge, I have an Audigy 2 ZS and I've no complaints at all. I'm not sure of the differences between it and the Audigy 4 though.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I got a Creative Audigy LS and with a 5.1 creative speaker setup for me its the bees knees :D I too have always used Creative since the old days of Windows 95!! Never had a problem and since I watch a lot of movies the surround sound is fantastic! So I would always tell people go for Creative if they want great sound when watching a movie or playing games. When I play FIFA 06 its like being in the stadium itself. I once had my flatmate running all the way upstairs to my room cos he thought I was watching a real footy match and even my ex-fianceé did the same!! weird I thought but it gets them thinking!! :biggrin and Baba is right using an onboard sound will use up the CPU at some parts especially on gaming and other heavy stuff. I would visit the Creative website to get the low down on each card your asking about..

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life