Sooo many certifications...

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by exus69, Nov 15, 2007.

1. exus69

exus69 New Member

Was jst wondering if I complete my MCSE and then
    go for Cisco certifications what would be my job
    profile coz m not too sure if I'll be given the
    responsibility to manage servers and routers both.

Plz advice....

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What is your current experience level?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. exus69

exus69 New Member

Am currently working as a Desktop Admin since 1 year
    and have completed 70-270. Will start preparing
    for 70-290 in a day or two. I'll be quitting my job
    to study for the same as theres no way I'll be
    having access to get hands on experience with WS2003.

4. BosonMichael

You need a year's worth of experience as a network admin (not as a desktop admin) in a multi-site environment before pursuing the MCSE. And I'd hold off on the CCNA stuff for the same reason - you really need to get started as a network admin and get some hands-on experience with Cisco equipment before pursuing the CCENT/CCNA.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Whoa! Slow down. The MCSE will take about seven different certification exams to complete (assuming you are planning on getting your certs in a purely linear fashion). What's the rush? It'll take at least two years to complete the MCSE if you do it without braindumps or any other form of cheating (sorry...just a little cautionary note for those reading).

Also, you virtually don't have a prayer of achieving your MCSE without some real-world experience managing Microsoft Active Directory domains. You can start with a home lab setup but eventually, you'll need to work in an actual production environment so if you don't have a job in IT right now, start looking for one.

You'll learn plenty about networking as you study for the various MCSE exams, so don't worry that you'll be left behind by not having a CCNA as well. While you can have both, don't assume that you need an MCSE to cover servers and domains and a CCNA to cover networks. That line of thinking is too simplistic. In fact, you might want to narrow your focus to the Microsoft material and see where that leads. Your plans might change as you advance and particularly as you work in the IT industry and discover where your interests and talents are to be found.

EDIT: Oops. Sorry. Didn't see the "Desktop Admin" part when I read through your thread the first time. Good. Keep on at it and as you continue study, see if you can work your way into more server-side work as Michael suggests.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Without previous experience, you likely would not be given the opportunity to manage routers and servers. I certainly wouldn't hire someone without experience to manage my network, regardless of their certification level. Slow down, get more experience and then start pursuing these certifications. Getting certified isn't going to magically prepare you for the real world of administering networks.

7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:) BosonJosh, good advise above as you come across as someone on this forum called MichaelBoson cloned version.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. BosonMichael

We do think alike... probably why we're such good friends. :)

9. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Thanks, onoski. We're not clones, but, yes, Michael and I do think alike with regards to certification. :)

10. BosonMichael

I'm a much bigger Predators fan than he is, however:

[​IMG]

11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Where was Josh's introduction post?

I never saw it

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. BosonMichael

I've seen him on so many other forums, I didn't notice he's new to this forum!

Josh! Bro! Intro yourself in the Intro forum!