Soon to be graduate in a tricky cert spot

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Mecha, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Mecha

Mecha Bit Poster

Hey guys, I am in my final 3 months of a BSc Networking degree.

I ultimately want to get a job later down the line in my career as a (senior) Systems Admin. But I wanted to get a few certifications to help get my foot through the door with a desktop support/helpdesk job for experience. So here is my thinking:

-I want to start studying for an "entry level" cert from March, doing either the MCDST or A+, but I am not sure which one to start with? I am technical both hands on and hands off with skills learnt from my degree, but ultimately I just want an initial job in support for experience.

Which one would you advice? As I a even thinking of doing a Network + cert now instead of a MCDST or A+, but will that help me gain an entry level job? Or do you think I will need it having a degree (I still don't know why I decided to do it!). I generally feel that emloyers now look down on IT degrees as no one asks for it in their requirements, only certification! What should I doooooooooooooo :(

Thanks a lot for the help:D

edit* I was thinking of doing the following path:

-Gain BSc Networking & A+, MCDST or Network + (July 2008)
    -After gaining first job do my A+, Network + or MCDST (If I haven't got either one already i.e. if I have done the MCDST)
    -After gaining these and getting another job I wish to gain my MCSA through MCSE studies
    -Then gain Systems Admin job, hopefully!

Certifications: BSc Networking, A+ (601)
    WIP: MSc InfoSec, S+, CISMP, IA ISO27001
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The only 2 things that I would change from your 4 point plan is to actually go for the A+, Network+ & MCDST once you finish your BSc and then aim for a level 1 support job to get your foot in the door instead of going straight to a SYstem Admin job first of all. I don't know about other IT managers out there, but I would not let anyone come in straight away as a Systems Admin without real experience, first of all.

As for degree's, while they may not be mentioned for some technical job, imo they will definately help you in your career progression.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

D'oh, didn't read that properly :rolleyes:

In that case, the only thing I would change is this: go for the A+, Network+ & MCDST once you finish your BSc

The Network+ will definately help you with the MCSA/E path :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I agree with Ken, A+ N+ is good route to take plus with the N+ you are not restricted to one type of networking such as cisco or microsoft.:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  5. Mecha

Mecha Bit Poster

Thanks for the replies guys! I think I will start with the A+! I definatly do not want to rush some I'll take my time

I'll definetly keep the forum with my progress. I hope by the end of the year to have my BSc, A+ and a job!

Certifications: BSc Networking, A+ (601)
    WIP: MSc InfoSec, S+, CISMP, IA ISO27001
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Don't be down on yourself for pursuing your degree. That degree will still come in handy to give yourself an edge. Later down the line, your degree will open up doors to jobs that are otherwise unavailable to those who do not hold a degree.

I normally recommend to get your first IT job while you're in school... but you're so close to being out that it won't matter a whole lot. Just get one as soon as it is possible for you to do so. Study for the A+, Network+, and MCDST (preferably in that order) while you're looking.

Best of luck! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!