Sony Vaio notebook

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by philbenson, Oct 31, 2007.

1. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Bit of a long shot this one I know. A colleague of mine who works in the languages dept of the school where I work is using her own notebook pc for lesson preparation. It's a model PCG-9RHM which was purchased in France.

She is concerned by an error message that comes on when you power the machine on. It's in french but basically says something along the lines of SMART failure predicted on hard drive 0 please perform immediate backup of data and replace disk.

I know that smart drive is a kind of disk caching utility and wondered whether by disabling this in the BIOS it would solve the problem. However there appears to be no way of doing this.

The Sony website support section appears to have no info on this particular model of notebook so unless anyone reading this has any ideas, I'm at a loss to solve this one. Anyone?

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

This isn't the same as SmartDrive, the disk caching technology... this is SMART, which stands for Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology... a feature that can diagnose when a hard drive is about to fail. Thus, the warning should be heeded - she should back up all the data before she loses it permanently.

link to info on SMART

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

What he said. All too often we don't get warned - so when we *do* the time to act is *now*!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+