Something different...

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by aestudiar, Jun 15, 2010.

1. aestudiar

aestudiar Byte Poster

Hi there,
    I'm looking to do something different, that is not normally mentioned in these fora, in addition to my degree and A+, Network+, SCJP studies.
    I learned how to touch type a long time ago, and it's one of those things that make a difference. I would like to know whether anyone has found an interesting skill/book/feature (you name it) regarding any aspect of ICT, and would like to share what it is, and what makes it good to have/know.
    Cheers.

PS I hope the above post makes my intention clear... I've just sat two exams (Engineering the future, Putting Java to work) and my mind needs a well deserved break. :D

2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

A lot of people overlook CompTIA's Security+ which I found thoroughly enjoyable to study for. I believe I read the Mike Myers book for this, 2008 edition naturally

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Learning all the ways to tweak Google searches... that makes such a big difference.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Learn how to write clearly and concisely. Communication skills are extremely important in the professional world, yet so few people actually give it any real consideration. In most cases that I've seen, the person who will get the job/promotion/raise/etc will be the person who is best at communication.

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Networking - with people, not with wires - is an often overlooked IT skill. One of the best ways to find job opportunities is by forging and maintaining relationships with other techs in the industry.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. aestudiar

aestudiar Byte Poster

* Security+. It's on my list. After A+ and Network+, of course. Actually, I'm reading Security Engineering as a primer.

* Google searches. Good point, though none of my searches warrant exhaustive tweaking.

* Communication (soft) skills. Another good point. I'm reading NLP at work (yeah, I have a long list of titles in the queue...). It's a fairly easy and interesting read, mixed with some psychology on how we model our world.

* Networking. I attended BCS's employabilITy event a couple weeks ago at their main office in London. It was nice to get to talk to different people. There was a networking activity where you had to 'sell' yourself in five minutes. It was aimed at graduates, and in fact several of the delegates had masters/PhD's in different areas.
    I found it reassuring to know that holding a Masters doesn't mean the holder understands everything beneath it in the hierarchy, ie degrees and certifications are different beasts, and to max out you need both.

Any other ideas? I think I'm working on these already.

7. JK2447

Learn another language? Always looks good on a person

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  8. aestudiar

aestudiar Byte Poster

I'm Spanish and English is my second language.
    I got some material on Japanese, and know all the kana (hiragana and katakana syllabaries). Moving into kanji now... :)

9. JK2447

Martial arts :S

10. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Not really sure how much it's worth but I'm dead keen on getting PRINCE2 at some point. Maybe take a look at that.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  11. aestudiar

aestudiar Byte Poster

Blue belt in taek-won-do, and go to the gym. :D