Someone Needing A Little Advice =\?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Special Brew, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Special Brew

Special Brew Nibble Poster

Hey,
    My name is Chris, I'm 19 and live in Southampton. I've never really known what type of career i would be suited for, until i realised IT is and always has been natural for me.
    I enjoy it very much ( even the times when it's complicated, and many hours long ) Because with each moment inside a computer, reading or troubleshooting I always learn something knew.
    Unlike everything esle, I take everything in with alot of interest, so i never actually forget.

I am currently studying BSc ICT (hons) degree with the OU part time, I have no Work experience with computers at all. Though i often fix peoples computers, but that will make no difference.

I don't have any Certs at the moment, due to having no money to pay for the exams (job seekers don't get much)
    I don't really know at the moment what i would like to do within IT, don't know what i'm capable off (being on JSA for a while gets you depressed and feel like **** to be honest but i need to get some confidence back)
    I feel time is running out and need to start somewhere asap.

The jobs i see advertising always ask for experience with the job, software of call logging etc.. So these i end up not applying for ( fear of being turned down )

I really don't mind doing voluntary work to get some experience but i don't know where to apply?
    What jobs? What companies are small but with a IT helpdesk?

I really am passionate about this, and have been for a long, long time... Just took until this year to realise it.

I appreciate any comments, good or bad, Please throw in some advice along side it though.

Special Brew!

2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I was about your age when I got my first job as a desktop support technician. It was my first IT job and I remember how much I was stressing over finding employment in the field of IT. Unfortunately the IT field is not an easy field to get into, however those who are truly passionate about IT will always make it, no matter how difficult it gets and I am pretty certain that you will do well if you're truly passionate and want to work in IT.

Of course IT is a huge field and there are many things you could do, if you know you're good at something and you like it, pursue it because chances are you'll do really well. It's always hard to find your first job but jobs do exist and you will definitely find something just as long as you're looking. You mentioned volunteering, that's a great way to get experience and the fact that you help your friends and family fix computers can definitely go on your C.V, it's a matter of how you phrase it. You might not be able to put it as a commercial experience, but you can definitely squeeze that in your C.V under extra curricular activities, hobbies maybe, etc...

At the end of the day, keep plugging away and you'll find what you're looking for. You're young and you have lots of time so don't worry about it too much, you'll get to where you want to be, in time.

Good luck bud, wish you all the best!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
    Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. Special Brew

Thank you for such a great confidence boosting reply =]
    I didn't think nobody would apply, but i was hoping someone would.
    Since reading this, and reading other posts, i have applied for different jobs now, so i'm not bothered about the requirements part, just apply for loads, surely something will come my way sooner or later.
    Give it a go or never know eh?

Alot of jobs are service analyst? sounds a bit different to what i think i could do?

I hate networking, that or it's just the worst part of IT lol.

I'm thinking of applying for a small business in it. but i don't know what ''small company'' would use IT?
    because if i can apply for these small companies that nobody else is, then maybe my chance has multiplied?
    Do you know of any small businesses that could offer IT employment?

How did you figure out where you belong within IT? Because i'm kind of confused about where i am suited?
    I really enjoy fixing mine, my families, my friends (and anyone else i can find) computers.
    Though i feel this would be setting myself up to fail, as most companies running are taking all the work.

I'd prefer a settled job, which has advances available.

Do you have any options i could strongly consider?

Thank you so much for the reply, I appreciate it that you took the time.

Special Brew

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Small companies aswell as big companies need IT technicians but usually they want experienced IT techs.

Have you tried writing to companies and asking them if they would consider training you or if they have any trainee positions available?

You could also try to volunteer for free with some places this will give you experience and experience counts more than any qualification or certification.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Special Brew

I would, but i don't know which ''type'' of company to ask?
    If i ask them to consider training me, what should i say i can give in return?

I will apply for voluntary, but can't seem to find anything on any voluntary websites at all.
    The problem again is i don't know where to look and what type of company to apply for?

I'm seeking words of wisdom from you knowlegable peeps =]

Thank you,

Special Brew

6. greenbrucelee

Just about any company you can think of have computers which will need maintained.

Just a few examples:

The Job center
    Your local newspaper
    solicitor firms
    Housing association
    Estate agents
    Any blue chip companies that might operate where you are.
    Restaurants
    Hotels
    Tax office
    Bus station/ train station
    companies that specialize in IT (although that could come under blue chip)
    Building firms

The list could go on.

The only places where I doubt there would be the need for IT techs are places like dry cleaning,laundramats and mechanics garages. Just about everything else will have a need for someone to help with their systems.

Dig out your yellow pages and write a generic letter saying something along the lines of your looking for your first position in IT and you are willing to learn etc and send this letter with your cv to lots of different companies.

As said by The Prof IT is very hard to get into but you need to keep trying, it took me 8 years with a 3 year break because all I did was apply to big companies that were IT orientated it was only after I looked at the bigger picture I got into IT.

Remember just about everyone uses computers these days wether they just use a few stand alone systems or a big ****off network, they all need someone who can solve any problems and they all need someone with commitment and the willingness to learn.

7. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Isn't there that Zenos? academy apprenticeship scheme thing GBL? the one that pays £100 a week and gets you qualified for IT. That could be of some use to him I suppose.

Aside from that, concentrate on getting your foot in the door before anything else mate, right now, you need any job in IT so that you an build your experience and skill set. Start at the bottom.

My first IT job was a Systems Support Administrator on £10k a year so anything helps.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  8. greenbrucelee

Yep good point.

There are apprentaship schemes which pay £80-£100 a week. Yep the pay sucks but you are getting the most important thing which is experience.

9. Special Brew

Great replies guys, very much appreciating this.

I had a call today for a job ''1st line service desk role'' he asked me questions about if i'm still interested, previous work experience which is a stupid reccycling operative !! and asked what my desired salary was, Wanting to say ''Wayne Rooneys Salary'' jokes, but said because it'll be my first IT job, and my experience is limited i wouldn't expect too much, 17K was the offer for the business..

Though he asked me to re-send the CV cus a job site corrupted it, he sent me a email to reply to and then we'll go from there. I've heard nothing, and that was 11am this morning?

Anyways, I'm assuming it's a no.. and i'm preparing a letter to send to companies for voluntary work so i can gain experience.

I've literally just emailed my old school to see if i could do some voluntary work there within the IT department.
    Probs sounds stupid to the outside world, but i need to do something Agghhh!

I've seen adverts for the Apprenticeships and it's only funded for people under 19, i'm 19 so would have to fund it myself, Being unenmployed i really cannot afford this?

thanks again for your replies,

Special Brew!

10. greenbrucelee

17k for your first IT job would be very good, not many people get anywhere near that.

11. Special Brew

I agree, and i was very excited, until i looked at the bigger picture, He asked my previous experience and because i forgot which job it was i applied for, i searched online and the job listing says previous experience essential.
    So knowing i don't have IT experience, the chances are very unlikely, and he hasn't called baack so next job huh.

thanks again

Special Brew!!

12. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

http://www.zenos.com/

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  13. Special Brew

Bloody hell, that seems an awesome course, A+ and more included, in such a short time too !!
    I'd actually enjoy doing that.
    I applied as soon as you sent the email.
    OMG i can't believe nobody told me about this when i left school!!

Now it's too late, i'm 19 and won't be funded for it =\?

what can i do ?

thanks again,

Special Brew!!

14. greenbrucelee

I dont think your looking properly and you are panicking about stuff that you shouldn't be panicking about. I think you will find that zenos and other aprentaships are for ages 16-24. why dont you phone them and ask for clarification.

Remember whats been said IT is very hard to get into even after doing this course (if you do) there is no guarantee that you will get a job right away.

15. zet

zet Byte Poster

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
    Certifications: BSc, MSc, A+
  16. greenbrucelee

yep but there are other schemes which I was trying to say. Zenos isn't the only one.

They do take people after 18 but you have to pay but I am pretty sure if your on JSA then they may help towards the costs.

17. Dave

Dave Bit Poster

Hi Chris,

Another area I would personally recommend checking out is the Charity Sector, they always need volunteers to help them out (especially with IT). Give some a call and see if you can get a day or a few days a week, usually they will pay for your travel and lunch - thats were I got started in IT after a career change and I learned so much doing volunteer IT Support :thumbleftfor a charity 1 day per week and it helped get me my first job in IT :)

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+, MCP, MCDST, MCTA
    WIP: 70-290 & Linux+
  18. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Just in regards to the Job front, and seeing as your on JSA and the Tories are about to Whoop on your ass.........unless they get voted out:)

Might be an idea whilst your studying and looking for a IT field Job, to get a job in customer services. Even if its somewhere like your local ASDA supermarket. The experience will look good on your CV, especially for a entry level helpdesk role, and you will gain invaluable skills dealing with customers on a day to day basis, and realise the numptey who cant find the Milk, is similar to the one who cant turn his computer on during the power cut:)

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  19. antidrip

antidrip Banned

I am going to list some jobs in typical it department You can find one you like but the key is getting the first one and it will bring experience and get to know other technology. So apply for any noc or help desk jobs you can

than once you find a company or job you like you can move around get experience and find what you love.

Routers and switchs (network engineer)
    Windows desk top
    windows server / outlook/active directory.
    NOC monitors alarms and does basic admin functions
    Software support and or programing
    Field technician travels and fixes networking devices but on a lower level than network engineer.
    Security
    Voip phones

Just to name a few.

I started as a NOC technician found i liked routers and switchs. Got my ccna than applied for my first network engineer job. The rest is history.

Get any IT job you can beg borrow or steal.... how much you make isnt as important as the technology you can get experience with and the company size ie how easy you can move around and how many other tech folks you can interact with.
    Find something you like
    Get certified in it
    Profit

I turned down a 80k job in automotive collision estimating to get a 14 dollar job in a noc at a internet service provider to get my start. I went from there dispatch to NOC in less than 1 year than went from noc to network engineering. I got a chance to work with switchs and routers but the best part was interacting with all the other IT folks. You can learn a ton just by asking them questions about there background and experience.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  20. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

That's nothing! Last month I turned down 115k/year offer because I didn't like the colour of the carpet in the office. (Office wasn't great either). I'd rather stay on £4/hour (I'm an illegal immigrant and can't work for more) than work in the office with the blue carpets.

... Imagine that! ... Blue carpets. Doh

WIP: Uhmm... not sure