Some advice please ....

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by talljay, Jun 6, 2011.

1. talljay

talljay New Member

Morning,

I am posting this thread as I want some advice - I am currently employed as a sales manager and am looking to change my career into IT ( I currently sort all IT problems within my present company as only 12 employees ) . I have built and fixed many computers,set up LAN's, basic trouble shooting etc, studied and passed both my A+ and now my network + as I want to become a network engineer - I realise i will have to take a 1st line support role to gain the IT experience and progress from there - Is it worth me stuidying any other exams b4 i can get a support role and will somebody take me on as only limited experience although it is in the commercial world. I will look to do the MCSE but have been advised this is not recommended until 1yrs experience ?? any help / guidance would be greatly appreciated. I am a very quick learner and studied/passed both my A+ and Network + in six months whilst holding down a full time job and a family and kids!!!

2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

For all of the certs I know of there is an audiance profile with which the exams apply, you would do well to follow the examples in the profiles, I cant remember exactlye but the mcse is something like you manage infrastructure, multiple domains with 25000 and upwards users (summint like that anyway). You could have a look at studying the mcdst which will help you with the first line work although you probably wont be able to take the exams in time as they are expiring soon.

Helpdesk is normally only a short term role for those keen on the IT field so with a year or so of password resetting etc you should be in a position to advance to the next level. Also once you work in helpdesk you will get a better idea of what interests you specifically in IT and you you will be able to direct your study appropriately. there are thousands of niches available not just admining MS systems.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Talljay,

Well done on your persistence and hard work as this is the key plus you have gained some valuable hands on experience. However, you have to realize that it would not be easy landing your first real IT role.

But if you have know problem starting on a low rate and working your way up, go for it.

If you're willing to put up with the above then I'd say yes go for it and keep working hard at it.

Finally, start looking for that first role in IT and all the best:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. DryPlate

DryPlate Nibble Poster

I agree with what's already been posted and I would also add consider studying Microsoft client certifications. Things like supporting Windows XP and Windows 7, I see more job listings here in the states calling for some sort of MCP certification either MCITP, MCDST or even MCTS when it comes to help desk work. (For example if you look the Windows 7, Configuring exam, that would earn the MCTS title and you'd be well versed in installing, deploying, configuring and troubleshooting the Windows 7 client)

More on more nowadays even entry level support means really understanding hardware, software and the network all at the same time.

Definitely continue working on getting N+ although if you really like networking you'll be looking at Cisco certifications down the line.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCDST, Apple Certified Associate
    WIP: CompTIA Network+, MCITP: EDST 7