Some advice on an upgrade please...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jacko, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Jacko

Jacko New Member

Hi people,

I am going to be upgrading my computer hardware but I still cannot get my head around different types of RAM and what will work and what won't. I currently have 256MB Ram and I want to upgrade as my pc is slow running multiple programs. The processor is a 1.8GHz. I was thinking about upgrading to something like 1GB Ram or more?

What and how would you recommend I upgrade my pc, by the RAM and or processor. The Motherboard is not that old as the previous one broke so I was hoping to keep that and just upgrade the RAM and / or processor.

The details of my pc are:

Superb 4 LE V2.0 Pentium 4 Based Motherboard

SIS 651+SIS 962L Chipset

Intel Celeron 1.80GHz

256MB DDR RAM

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jacko

WIP: A+ hardware & OS
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Jacko,

I post this thread recently about different RAM types CLICK HERE

Dont know if it will answer your questions, but there is some good reading in the link anyway.

HTH. :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Rather than telling you exactly what you need I'll tell you how to research it.

Find out what cpu's your motherboard will accomodate. Since it's a replacement you should have a the manual for it. Your manual will tell you the fastest cpu it will handle, and it will tell you exactly what speed of DDR ram you need, how much your board will handle, and how large a stick (memory-wise not size-wise) of ram it will accomodate per slot.

If you don't have the manual go to the motherboard manufacturer's site and research your board. They will have all the specifications you need.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

The motherboard manual is your best bet but if you don't have one or your still unsure download this tool from Crucial.

Its a system scanner, and will tell you what memory you need, how much memory your board will take and what slots are available, amoung other things.

Neall

WIP: A+