software deployment through GPO

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by davemus, May 14, 2005.

1. davemus

davemus New Member

Hi all
    I have a server 2003 lab at home, with xp pro client.
    I am mucking around with msi files, and hit a brick wall when trying to deploy through a GPO.
    My client is located within the client OU, and msi files are located in software folder.When i assign to client i cant see anything on my client machine.
    help please

cheers

dave

2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

How is the software deployed? Assigned/published to a user or computer, has a GPO been made to install the software and are the permissions set for the user/computer to have the GPO work for them?

Just a quick couple of things to perhaps check :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. zcapr17

zcapr17 Nibble Poster

As AJ said, plus...

Use gpresult.exe to check that the client user/computer is receiving the GPO. If not use gpupdate.exe, if still not then check the GPO scope/filtering.

Also, check that the path to the msi (as specified in the GPO) is actually visable from the client (user and/or computer) and that they have read+execute permissions. [If you have assigned the package to a computer make sure you're using the full UNC path, as only users can use drive letters / mapped network drives].

Check the Application log of the client machine to see if there are any problems; both successful and unsuccessful application installations should appear here.

Also, bear in mind that package advertising can sometimes go wrong and shortcuts are not created. If the application appears in the "Add Remove Programs" console then you may have to perform a Repair operation.

Oh, and if the package is assigned to a computer then you will need to reboot. Likewise, if the package is assigned to a user will need to logout and login again. Published packages still need to be installed manually from the Add Remove Programs console.

HTH,

z.

Certifications: MCSE:2K3 MCTS:Vista VCPv3 ITILv3 Sec+ L+
    WIP: MCITP Enterprise Admin 2008, CCA
  4. davemus

davemus New Member

cheers

prolem solved!

unc path incorrect

5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Glad you got it sorted m8 :biggrin