So... who here does NOT have a facebook account?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Apoc220, May 7, 2011.

1. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

Hey guys,

I just wanted to throw something out there and see how many of you are like me, and don't have a facebook account. I was curious as to what are the numbers here for this? I had a facebook from about 2006 to early 2010 and decided to close it off due to having a lot of "friends" that were on there, but not really anyone that I truly valued keeping in touch with. As for the people I kept in touch with, they were either a phone call or text away. That being said, I'm finding that people seem to be doing less and less emailing and calling, and more communication is now on facebook or texting or tweeting, etc. Anyway, that's the end of my soap box moment. Been lightly debating getting back on the facebook train, but have not found a decent enough reason to do so.

SO there you have it... what do you guys think? For those of you that have a facebook, have you been thinking about getting off the train? Those that don't have one... have you been thinking about getting ON? Looking forward to reading your thoughts on this one. Off to do some study! "Troubleshooting Office Applications" for my MCDST... oh joy!

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I only signed up a few months ago because my employer asked me to teach a course on social networking, so I thought I'd better find out what it was.

I absolutely hate it to death.

People collect friends as if they were Pokemon cards.
    For goodness sake, who has 700 friends in real life?

OK, I have none, but still.

My life is also empty and meaningless, but I don't have the urge to tell people that.
    Every now and then I log in to see what's been happening.

'Dave Jones has just eaten a bag of crisps.'
    'Mary is looking forward to the weekend.'
    'Christian likes this.'
    'Molly likes Dave's status.'
    'Simon has commented on his own picture.'

If there is a hell, then this is it - surely?
    It's just people farting their egos out of their a***holes in an invisible cloud of vague nastiness.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I'm not on facebook.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I have a deactivated account. Can't stand it, and it makes me laugh when people get properly offended if you decline or delete them. I usually just tell them straight "I don't know you well enough.".

Apart from that, it was good to check from time to time to see how **** all of my "friends" lives are compared to mine. Deactivated it and never looked back, I'm confident enough that I don't need constant reassuring and attention through comments and likes.

Here's a little story:

I got set up a blind date with a girl and she genuinely said "You're like a weirdo or some murderer if you don't have facebook". She really meant that. To her, only social retards don't have facebook.

Ironically, as soon as I went "oh well, however that is extraordinarily offensive" she soon changed her tune and came begging for me to go for a drink. We never had one.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
    Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  5. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I don't have one, never set one up, don't really trust it and like it was said, the "friends" feature is a joke IMO.

If you like it, more power to you, but it doesn't interest me.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Not for me.

I do like blocking it for some customers though and then watch people go crazy!

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

haven't got one for very similar reasons as Apoc220, except the fact I never had one. Thinking about it, there's loads of people who do not have one, would be interested to see some stats of who has/hasn't including age, gender etc.

8. dingy

dingy Bit Poster

Certifications: A+,N+,MCDST
    WIP: Relax
  9. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

dont have it :) forums and IM's are better.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science
  10. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Byte Poster

I have a facebook account. Mainly use it for IMs as I dont use MSN messenger anymore.

Certifications: N+
    WIP: A+ Security+ ITIL V3
  11. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

Well... good to see that I'm not the only one not on the "train". I couldn't agree more with the whole "friend" concept and how some people have over a thousand friends. When I had an account I found that 90% of the people on there were just friends that I requested or accepted just because I knew them at one point. But honestly some of them were never in contact with me, or I with them. The most would be a "hi, how's it going?" when we first became facebook buddies. It does become annoying when you get the inevitable "why aren't you on facebook?" question. You get a look like you have a second head, or something. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing with having an account and using it. However, I do have a problem when you are deemed an outsider or not a normal person if you don't have a facebook. Anyway, I have thought about it and have not been able to bring myself to get back on. Maybe someday I will, but at the moment I can find no compelling reason to get back on.

12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It's funny to think that, a few years ago, the concept of an employer looking you up and finding out about you from the interweb was a weird idea. I was quite happy having no digital footprint whatsoever.

But I think that we are not so far from the time (if we are not there already), when potential employers will raise a suspicious eyebrow when they fail to find you on facebook. After all, it means you are reclusive and anti-social, right?

We blocked facebook in work once hoping to boost productivity. It backfired when productivity ground to a complete halt. People just didn't know what to do with themselves. It was like cutting an umbilical cord of some kind. They just wondered round the office with glazed expressions, occasionally bumping into walls.

I weep for the future.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I have one but I only log in occasionally. I'm thinking about giving it up alltogether as it just doesn't do anything for me. I can't see the attraction of putting my life on facebook. Some people just seem to live on there. Added to that, most of the people I have as contacts there are either across the road (at my former workplace) or on this forum.

The idea behind facebook was fantastic. Sadly it's just gotten out of control.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  14. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

You're definitely right that it has gotten somewhat out of control with the way that they enable people to basically put their lives on the thing. Granted, it's their decision how much information they want to put, but it has become a monster in itself. I heard about foursquare a while back but didn't know that facebook introduced the feature. For those who don't know, it's a "check in" feature which basically lets you post where you are at any given time. So you'll have people "checking in" from the gym, the cinema, etc. It's kind of sad when you have the posts that pretty much amount to "just woke up"... "eating breakfast"... "man... almost choked on that pop tart!" I think this is part of the reason why I ultimately gave up. It lost it's appeal when it was the equivelant of breathing for some. Just couldn't bring myself to be a slave to comment on everything I or someone else did.

15. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I do have an account and it can sometimes be handy. One thing that winds me up about facebook is the self pity statuses. One person whos on my list from uni put up a picture of a beer, and said i deserver it after the year ive had. I know this lad and his definition of a hard year is what everyone would accept as a general life.

I do update my status, mainly when i know im going out, beacuse im always happy and id like to share them things, i would never put anything down thats really personal or anything that gets me the obligatory response of 'you ok hun'.

And why do people play the pointless games on there, the amount of requests ive had from people 'asking me' to click on there game to get them points.

As for friends request ive turned down a few and recently i got rid of people who i hardley knew. I got messages from people who i didnt like, and theyd say why havent you accepted my request, and id be honest, because i dont like you ??.

And people who dont use proper words, like 'da' meaning 'the', thats gets my back up, also winds me up when they txt speak in a text message.

Anyway, rant over

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
  16. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Me either.

i do like Twitter though as I can find out a lot of work related things through it.

17. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I am not on facebook and don't intend getting on either. I am looking at joining twitter though for useful tech work related stuff:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  18. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Can't stand it, don't ever want to be part of it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  19. AgentDRL

AgentDRL Nibble Poster

I'm on it, but only have relatives, close friends and their partners/wives/husbands added as friends (under 50 friends at last count). Why have people I used to know at school over 10 years ago (that I've not seen in that time) added as friends? Don't get that one.

Certifications: ITIL v3, A+, Network+
  20. samlea72

samlea72 Bit Poster

I have one, that is never my real picture, not my real name, and with ~100 friends, all of whom I actually know and talk to!