So what's this ITIL and is it suitable for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by jo74, Dec 2, 2009.

1. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

'scuse my ignorance but then that's why I joined this forum :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  2. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Hello. I guess it all depends on what you are interested in pursuing. In my view, this is more of a management cert than a technical one as the main focus is managing IT; whether that be an internal IT department or a 3rd party vendor. If this is something you are looking at, by all means go for it. That said, if you are looking for a job in IT it is quite popular especially for large companies to hire people who are ITIL certified. On its own however, the ITIL does not hold much weight but coupled with other technical certs, it can set you apart from the herd.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The management level ITIL quals are geared up towards IT Services management, however ITIL in general is more of a framework that you/your company would use to deliver IT Services.

Is it suitable for a beginner? Well the foundation level exam, I would say is gear up for people at any level.

However I would say that FITS is an easier version of the framework, it's based on ITIL.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security