Snow

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by AJ, Dec 18, 2009.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Oh come on. I understand that things slow down a bit when you get 30 cm or so but 7-8 cm? It's not as if England has never had snow before. I suppose I'm just used to living in a well organised country.8)

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yeah I find it best to knock the traction control off.

Your right, The UK is about as well organised as a board of directors deciding on next years IT budget. Absolutely useless :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Heres a few photos from the last week or two around here
    the first one is the view from my house one morning after the first snow, its about 2" deep, but the road was about 1" ice slabs

the second is me going over one of the big mountain passes between Portland and here last Saturday, it was blizzard conditions, thick fog, and sheet ice on the road (they had closed the interstate that morning due to masses of black ice, and that was on the straight flat part!)

Attached Files:

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Someone wanted pictures, herre we are, from the local golf course at lunchtime

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  5. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I got up this morning to the white stuff and then cycled into work, had some great fun, and then i had some more fun on the way home in it aswell :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  6. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

No snow in Bristol/Weston so far.

Well, I haven't seen any but people in Weston where I work keep saying it's snowing in Bristol, where I live. :dry

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  7. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

[​IMG]

That was near Dover.

Well, I had my weekend ruined, got 2 miles from dover on the A20 last night, 2 hours early for the ferry, then french closed Calais, so no ferrys were leaving, spent 3 hours just getting to the port, then another 2 hours checking in just to be told, between the time we were allowed into the port and the time we arrived at the check in, that they had closed Calais once again, so all ferrys were stuck, with people on them and people were waiting after checking in, inside their cars until the port reopened, but that could of been anywhere bewteen 4am (when we checked in) and midday. SO we just went back home. the A20 was at a standstill with people just sleeping because they couldn't get off.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  8. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

My driveway yesterday morning at about 7am. The snow got alot deeper by about 10.

[​IMG]

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  9. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

It was snowing for about an hour today thats all the snow i have seen.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Now you tell me! :sick

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

The snow absolutely killed Belgium, there were car crashes galore, poxy little smart cars getting stuck on roads with the slightest of an incline. Not only that most of the flights got cancelled, I had one on Friday morning at 7am to Vienna and then from Vienna to Romania, should have got there at 1pm, didnt work out that way though!
    2 flights cancelled, all of them delayed, ended up having to take 3 instead of 2 and arrived at my destination at 3am, nightmare!

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Well, we just got another 25cm of snow just last night alone. Got to work earlier than usual too.

Add to that the record -34 temperature and we have winter. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  13. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Wow, I used to work in the freezer warehouse and the lowest we were getting was -28 degrees. Proper cold in tax heaven by the looks of it.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  14. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

was -20 where I was the other week, Madras, Oregon
    about -7F i think, wierd American system hehe

will likely hit that around Idaho at some point in the winter, was close the other week

Spent some of last January in Montana, now that place is cold! hehe (and yet I was still driving, go figure)

15. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I'm not built for the cold, forecast is between 3 and -3 today and I'm glued to the radiator :D

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  16. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Yep, -34 was in the place they call swiss siberia. In the city outskirts of zurich where I live it was only about -16 or so.

17. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Had about 5 inches of snow on Thursday, most of it has stayed on the ground so about 2 inches left today - started snowing this evening and the tube starts to give up! Also had to drive 45 mins tonight to see the gf's sister and family and found the windscreen wipers not working - motor goes but not action, so probably got a joint or linkage broken there by the sounds of it!
    :(

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  18. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

It dumped 5 inches of snow on us at rush hour this evening so it took me 3 1/2 hours to complete a 15 minute journey, had to leave the car at a pub 5 minutes away because our road and the hill that leads up to it were like an ice rink.

My dad made it up the hill in 5 attempts and left the car at the bottom of the road after taking one look at it!

Luton airport shut completely and Easyjet had to cancel all their flights which the Easyjet guy on the radio was less than happy about, talking about an airport somewhere in Europe in -34 with huge amounts of snow on the ground which was still operating.

19. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Most places that get -alot- of snow, can deal with the snow, they have infrastructure to deal with it, its worth it

England gets a few days a year, if that, and quite frankly maintaining armies of snow plows, de icers and such just wouldn't make economic sense for the random occurrences

when I was a kid we used to have salt bins all over the place for putting on the roads, guess they became 'bomb' hazards like rubbish bins!

Pretty sure Heathrow and Gatwick are both geared up for it though, i've never been delayed due to snow at either of them, but they are two of the busiest airports in the world, its a little different than Luton

20. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Gatwick had to close too...

I did feel for the guys driving the gritting lorries I have to say, suffering all kinds of abuse when they were stuck in the same traffic jams we were!

I agree of course that other countries tend to be better prepared as they are more used to things like this, the big problem comes from the lack of resources available, councils hold back the gritters for as long as possible because covering the roads in grit and finding out the forecast is wrong is seriously costly. Its very difficult to blame them for this strategy particularly when it has worked previously and roads have remained relatively clear, every so often they are going to get caught out though as happened last night.

In Lutons case, a massive effort to get the airport reopened would still have seen plenty of people missing their flights as they couldn't reach the airports because all the roads were gridlocked...

EDIT: oh and full credit goes to the guy sat in his gritting lorry who phoned up and requested 'road to nowhere' don't think there was a more apt song to describe the situation!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009