Snow

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Leehaa, Feb 8, 2007.

1. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

A beautiful walk to work this morning. Hardly anyone of any importance there, they can work from home (with my assistance today, of course). Oddly, all the warehouse staff managed to make it in, even in their old (non company) cars.

They probably don't get paid if they don't attend.

Hmm.

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

WTF are you all complaining about? At least you've got snow. Can you imagine trying to ski in the swiss alps without snow?:x

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Isn't it great mate? I first saw it 10 years ago and still get a kick out of big day long snowstorms. Fresh powder snow is just the best. Then after a day I get out the back and build an igloo with the kids from the 1-2 meters of snow that we usually have at this time of year.:biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

For those people criticising Londoners for not being man enough to go to work in a wee bit of snow, just remember London is a nightmare to commute around at the best of times. It has the same population as Australia, all crammed into a city that was designed for horse and carts. Add to that snow, black ice and incompetent drivers and you very quickly end up in a massive grid lock. It has taken me over three hours to cover 5 mile journey in the past, it's not fun at all.

I have a theory - if so-called global warming is caused by the greenhouse effect which is aggravated by carbon dioxide emissions, we can all do our bit to help. Every human being on the planet is a carbon dioxide producing machine, we breath in air, use up all the oxygen and breath out whopping great clouds of CO2 - So, we must either stop reproducing and stop increasing life expectancy or just stop breathing. Otherwise, we could stop paying the funds to the scientists that are spamming us with this theory and just sit back and enjoy the warm weather :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

LOL did that in Austria once, came down a run which was closed (the sign was in Austrian/German) half way down and we realised why nobody else was following. Just the odd patch of snow between big patches of grass. Not the quickest downhill run I have ever done :oops:

6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Pete makes a valid point. The few times I have been to London was busy to say the least without the snow.

As for Global warming, i heard on the radio this morning that Richard branson is offering 10 million pounds for the person/team who proposes an idea to prevent it.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

It's not the Londoners that are the problem, it's the transport system, specifically the underground. The tubes are rubbish, especially the Jubilee line which I used for many years. Londoners themselves are as tough as nails. You have to be to endure the nightmare that passes for public transport in that city.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Quoted for truth!

9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Both...my mum rang me last nite, asking if its been snowing up here. I told her yes since Monday nite, and that it only started snowing in London. I thought to meself, right ok :dry but I tell wot made me peed off yesterday!!

Cycling to work in the snow (not too thick mind you), and what happened? I get a flat tyre :mad:!!! So I rang work to say I will be late, so started walking, 10min later I get a phonecall from a colleague and he came to pick me up in the work van...lol...service I tell ya!! :biggrin

So at lunch time I had to go and buy a new inner tube (well two since I had used my last one on tuesday after another flat tyre!!!) and new break pads...man I wasnt happy.

But yeah those pesky Londoners (no offence people!! Cos I am from there too), one sight of a snowflake and they keel over...but up in Aberdeen (where I spent a year), they are hard as nails...even if they get snowed in, they still manage to get out and about...so London can grind to halt before it snows, but further up they carry on like its a normal day...:biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  10. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Anyway, back in Bristol, it's snowing cats and dogs right now. Brrrrrr....

*shiver*

I hate the stuff.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  11. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

It's all well and good slagging off Londoners for grinding to a halt for a bit of snow, but the truth is we are just not used to it. Funnily enough, snow doesn't fall that often around here. No-one has snow tyres (and you don't need me to tell you all-weather tyres are simply not that!!!), the roads are always ill-prepared and the already shite transport system can't sope with the overflow. And if anyone knows of a Londoner with a snow shovel, welly boots, beacon, snow chains, etc already sitting in their boot, then hats off to them!

I'm pretty sure that if a snow-storm came down in somewhere like Cairo the place would also grind to a halt :)

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  12. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

FFS, I can't believe how many people are complaining about the public transport in London. Have any of you tried using public transport outside of London? No, because there isn't any.:x

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Newcastle has an alright public transport system, but I am guessing u mean outside the M25 area? (why do they always use that line? Outside the M25 area!!)

14. Baba O'Riley

Are you saying that Newcastle is inside the M25 area?:blink

15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Keep your hair on boyo :biggrin

16. Baba O'Riley

LOL, it's alright for you. The weather is always good enough to walk where you are.

17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes, the weather here is similar to the Med, except a bit warmer and less rain 8)

18. Baba O'Riley

Well la-de-da!:)

19. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

In all honesty, mate - I don't think that's what was happening here. More just the usual British "what are we like" mentality - a finger pointed at the state of the nation, rather than at those of whom it is composed. :)

Points seem valid about the London transport system. But here in Ayrshire, I still get twitchy if there's a weather warning, as I pretty much still need to make it to work regardless. I put 2 new front tyres on the motor today (feck knows what kind - the cheapest) but they look much more likely to keep me safe than the old ones :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  20. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

hahahaha....no...imagine that eh?