Snort and Wireshark

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Fluid, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

I was wandering are these two softwares the same? has one got any advantages over the other one? Which one do you use and why? I installed wireshark last night and i didnt have a clue on how to use it. Will be reading the tutorials on here when i get home. Also i noticed something else as well.. first i went to download etheral which was 12MB then i realised that its now called wireshark, then i went to download wireshark.. which was under 1MB... why the big difference?

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

AFAIK Snort is only for Linux boxes, although I think there was a Snort for Windows under development.

3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Snort and Wireshark - although they can perform similar functions - are completely different. Whilst Wireshark is an excellent packet sniffer and analyser - that's ALL it is. It allows you to capture and interpret network traffic. Snort is a fully-functional open-source IDS - providing features that you would ususally have to pay thousands - if not TENS of thousands of pounds for in a commercial product. Comparing the two is like comparing a bicycle to a Ferrari.

Not sure why your download was only 1Mb - the full Wireshark download is around 12Mb (Wireshark is, as you probably know, the 'evolutuion' of Ethereal - which was comparable in size). I suggest that you probably either got a corrupt, half-finished download, or have downloaded something bogus masquerading as Wireshark. The full, bona fide download can be found here

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Si - Snort is platform independent. I have three Snort IDS boxes running at work on Windows - using the excellent WinSnort All-In-One package. This is a full install of Snort, together with full support for a graphical front end (BASE) running PHP via either Apache or IIS, and logging to a back end DB - supporting MySQL or SQL Server.

Incidentally, in most cases a solution like this has the snazzy 'LAMP' acronym (Linux, Apache, MySQl, PHP). I guess in this case you could call it 'WIMP' or 'WAMP' :biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista Installer (.exe)

* Wiretapped (http, au)

i downloaded that one from www.wireshark.org

is snort hard to use? Are there tutorials out there for it? I will be runnign it on windows 2003