Smoking Ban

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Fergal1982, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Well ladies and gentlemen, its finally happened. the scottish government has decided to ban smoking in enclosed public spaces. to be fully enforced by spring 2006. and i for one, cheer!

Link

no longer will i, or other non smokers have to be willing to suffer second hand smoke if i wish to go out for a night out! woohoo!

a lot of people are gonna be pissed at this though! all i can say is one word...................

TOUGH!

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:twisted:

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

FURTHER NEWS JUST IN .......

Cars, although legal, have just been banned.

They cause death by their emissions, even to those who never use them. Even though the Government receives massive amounts of tax from their purchase, and more from their use, they have "taken a deep breath" and decided to ban their use in public places. Some people may die from cars WITHOUT even having to breath in their fumes - just be in the wrong place when one is around.

Surely, the public will cheer like they have never cheered before...

And besides, what does the opinion of the motorist count, as their "consultative committee" was quietly brushed under the carpet anyway ....

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Personaly i dont smoke, and i dont like having to sit through a meal/drink with smoke in my face because someone has no consideration for others

but im also not a fan of any sort of 'ban' i think its ridiculous and undermines freedom
    personally i think it should be more down to the places this ban will be inforced in to better segregate thier smoking and non smoking sections, i get fed up when i go to a restaurant, get a no smoking seat and am seated just a banister away from someone who smokes 20 over a meal, the problem should lie with these establishments and not punish the smokers themselves, after all they want to have a meal with a fag, and we want to have a meal without one! each to thier own

and Jak your examples pretty flawed, im all for having electric/hydrogen cars that dont damage the air, but hampering a form of mass transit that would bring the world to a hault is hardly comparable to banning somebodies (bad) habit in public, and its only public enclosed spaces, many of which are alreayd non smoking places anyway

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. Firthy2002

Firthy2002 Byte Poster

I agree with Phoenix.

Certifications: None currently
    WIP: CompTIA A+ & Network+
  5. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

What a load of cr@p.

People who go along with this tripe, to be perfectly honest, haven't got a clue about much in general.
    I won't expand, i can't be bothered.Work it out for yourselves, if your able. :rolleyes:

I heard today, that in Sydney, they're preparing to make it illegal to smoke in the street.

that's it I need a smoke after reading this rubbish

:beatnik

6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Used to work behind a bar so i learned to live with it, esp as my Dad smoked. I have never smoked but don't mind too much so lond as the smoke is not about when I'm eating and there is a place that I can get away from it.

If places were better ventilated then I don't think that there would be too much of a problem. However, for a non-smoker, the worst thing in the world is to come home and STINK of fag smoke.

Just MHO :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Thanks Ryan - thanks for pointing out just how tongue-in-cheek I was being. Can you imagine the outcry if what I postulated were to actually happen ?

I too HATE eating in public in a supposed "non-smoking area" which is no more than "not far from the smoking area". But I would never ask an entire restaurant ban smoking just so as I could eat there.

I think the crux of this argument is that the pub/restaurant/licensing trade MUST take full responsibility for the policies that apply within their premises.

Having it become a dictat from Government is just plain laughable. I'll wager as much as the next man that this will never come to pass.

8. Fergal1982

but then again. it is the responsibility of the government to ensure that things which are dangerous to your health are policed properly.

i personally dont have a problem with people smoking, i just dont like being made to inhale the smoke second hand. the view of the government is more or less that if you want to kill yourself by ingesting rocket fuel, etc, then by all means go for it (especially if they are getting tax off it!), but you shouldnt be allowed to endanger others through your actions if they can possibly stop it. this i fully agree with! the use the same logic with drink driving. drinking isnt going to kill people just by you drinking. if you want to get in a car on private property whilst wasted and drive around, do so to your hearts content. but in a public place (ie public roads) its illegal, because you not only endanger yourself, you endanger others around you! they recognise that fossil fuel driven combustion engines are dangerous and are encouraging people to look at alternatives (public transport, cleaner fuels, etc). and im sure if they found a mass transport system that was safer than cars (such as teleportation, lol) then they'd implement that too!

at the end of the day, i say, if you want to smoke in your own home, or let others do so, or if you want to smoke outdoors, then by all means do so. but dont make me have to inhale smoke every time i want to go to a club/pub.

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  9. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Time to wiegh in with my 2p :D

Here where i am, as of the 1st of Oct, smoking was banned in all bars and resturant's. As a smoker, I agree that smoking should be banned in resturant's, as no one like's to eat something that tastes like fag ash.

However, I think it's retarded that they have banned it in bars and club's. I don't mind going outside for a smoke now, but come December, when it's -20 or lower, and the snow is blowing, I sure as hell ain't goin outside. Most people feel the same. So, I'll be goin to allot of house parties, hopefully. lol

It will kill the bars and clubs. it has already had a notacible impact on rainny or crappy night's. The place's that are normally full are empty when the weather is bad. :x

I'm all for a middle of the road sollution, and what the people that hate smoker's don't realise, is the goverment makes BILLIONS off of smokers in tax money. If everyone quits, yeah for my health, boo for my paycheck. The goverment will not let billions in tax dollars a year just disapear from their pocket's, in the end, EVERYONE will have to foot the bill. :rolleyes:

If they were smart, they would keep their mouths shut, and let the smokers pay all the extra tax dollars lol.

Sorry, bit strong I know, but this subject really get's me goin. Another example of living in a "free" country. lol

Ok andy, deep breaths lol :oops:

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  10. Angus

Angus Nibble Poster

I am all for the ban myself :thumbleft , but maybe there should be a seperate smoking room for the smokers. I dont know many that smoke anyway, there is only a few in the pubs here that smoke..

Fag burns piss me off too !:cussing

Certifications: A+ , MCP
  11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well no matter what anyone says, I am very happy about the ban cos my fianceé smokes alot...however she does want to quit...so the sooner the ban arrives in Aberdeen the better...and like Fergal said for us non-smokers the place will be a better environment, but as the Scottish government said, they wont impose a full ban as they know people will still smoke at home and children and non-smokers again will be under threat...so there's another one to look in to...but here's to hoping the whole of UK gets a ban of some sort...I mean look at Ireland...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  12. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

As an ex smoker I can see how irritated smokers may get over this kind of thing, but as a non smoker I know how much I hate it when somebody sparks up a cig just after finishing their meal. Not too sure about night clubs and the like but restaurants and anywhere that food is being served then I'm all for it.

Of course smokers aren't going to be happy about this but then again a lot of smokers I know aren't that happy until they get there next nicotine fix anyway. :twisted: :biggrin

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

lol Don't worry, m8 - if they DO get the bottle to see this through parliament (which I doubt) I think it would arrive in Scotland all in one go :D

14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Old news. Smoking restrictions have been in force in the US for ages.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  15. Fergal1982

erm jak, it could just be my lack of understanding on politics, but as i understood it, it already WAS through parliment. as i understood it, its already underway to be fully implemented by spring 2006!

16. r4merlin

r4merlin Nibble Poster

"Yes I am a smoker"

I think both sides of the coin should be catered for when it comes to this issue.

On a recent shopping experience I looked in the smoking section in the local cafe/restuarant and guess what it was absolutely packed. (It was a smaller area than the non smoking)

The non smoking part of this establishment had 2 - 3 people with about another 50 seats empty.

Yep I agree non smokers should not have to put up with it.

Smokers however should have the same rights though.

If smokers have an area they will more than be happy to oblige using them.

17. Fergal1982

that works fine in restaurants, but not in pubs an clubs!

18. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

is there prevision in the law to make private membership establishments exempt? as they are not public places they are private

one way to get around the rule is to use that loophole, the little restaurant at the end of my street in ID did that, made it a members only place, and could keep thier smoking section

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  19. Peter

Peter Byte Poster

I am over the moon is's not soon enough for me.:D :D :D :D
    And I say stuff the smokers as they have never had any consideration for anyone else ( all smokers on this forum Excluded )

Cheers.

Certifications: Elec & Eelc Eng A+
    WIP: CCNA-CCNP
  20. Fergal1982

no phoenix, private clubs have specifically been mentioned as NOT being exempt.