slight dilema on certs, advice appreciated

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Bambino1506, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

hey guys would appreciate your advice on whether to continue with my A+ or not....

Landed a new job, I've had to take a paycut but they have said it will be written into the contract that if after 6 months I have got ITIL foundation and MCP, and can do the job efficently of course, I will get a 4k payrise....which I will really need as I have a family to support.

Anyway I figure I will do one of the MCDST exams for my MCP.....but the thing is I am about halfway through studying for my A+ and was thinking maybe put it on hold so i can concentrate on getting my MCP and the payrise.

I'm about halfway through my first read of Meyers and feel it is really sticking and am really enjoying learning about the subjects....but I don't want it to delay me getting MCP and payrise.

Dunno how much there is to learn for MCDST exams but just seems will be a bit much to learn while memorising processor types etc for A+

Thoughts appreciated.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  2. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Yep ...been there done that!

I would nail the A+ as you have to do it anyway...but check with them first!

Most employers will be happy if they see some progress in getting a cert, so I would not sweat too much.

Three months to complete the A+, then straight into an MCDST exam will do...set yourself the goal of celebrating Xmas with your family and made more enjoyable by two certs, and a pay rise in your new job mate.

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Supa, it looks like he also needs to get the ITIL foundation cert too. As far as I know this will take a while longer than the MCP.

It might be worth going to the boss and explaining the situation to him. Tell him that you want to do it the right way by building a good foundation.

What you could suggest is that within 1 year you achieve not only the ITIL foundation and MCP but also the A+ and Network+ too. That way you don't have to break off study for A+. Then you go for Network+ and you have a great foundation for the MCDST mcp's (2 of them, maybe the second one as a bonus for the boss) and after that the ITIL foundation cert.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Oops my haste ...actually your post is an even better solution.

Especially if the employer coughs up for the formal training courses, manuals and testing software etc...

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Must be all that water there.:biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'm going to take ur advice and speak to my new boss as soon as I get the chance and just make sure he is oright with me nailing my A+ first.

ITIL foundation is supposed to be quite easy according to them so I am just gonna knuckle down and get it all passed by xmas hopefully :biggrin

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA