SLEEP!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by THXbob, Sep 29, 2007.

1. THXbob

THXbob Bit Poster

Hi Guy's n Gal's

Just wondering about sleep, I've read on this forum that some members can get away with 6 - 4 hrs sleep!

How do you do it?

The only reason this post is at 01:45 (UK), is because there's no work tomorrow!

Right I'm off to a warm bed ( the misses went up HOURS ago! )

Ta

Bob

WIP: CompTIA A+ and Network+
  2. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

6 hours is supposed to be average for an adult, 4 hours is hard to cope with.

altho i have been known to stay awake for the best part of 26 hours

Certifications: MCP 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA + Messaging, MCSE + Security
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I used to get by on 4 hours sleep... and I always felt like heck after sleeping for 8 hours. But now that I've been sleeping 6-8 hours pretty regularly, I feel so much better during the day.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I need about 7-8 hours of sleep to function well through out the day. Reason being is because aside from work, I have school and go to the gym, so I need all the energy I can get. Other's just function differently. Some just need 6 hours because they are just used to sleeping that much.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Before my debts came to a head and I was faced with a no win situation, I used to sleep about 7 - 8 hours a night.

But even though I have had a regular payment ever since 6 years ago and don't get evil letters through the door anymore it seems to have stuck.

The only way I get more than six hours sleep (uninterupted) is to drink beer.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I get by on 5-6 hours per day (night).

I do this on purpose because there is so much to learn and so many interesting things to do in life that there aren't enough hours in the day.

I can sleep when I'm dead.:blink

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

i get 7 every night now used to get 8 a night and still feel a bit tired but i put that down to doing exercise 4 out the 5 week nights

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I have just about survived on 4 hours sleep a night for the past 3 weeks, although by 4pm my head has started to nod.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I need to get 7 hours but can get away with 6, but never feel quite as sharp throughout the day. Ideally I'd like to get 8 a night, but as said, there are never enough hours in the day!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  10. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

I only sleep 4 hours a day. Except for the weekends. I like to dooz a little then but 4 hours is needed.
    I do this sinse I was 18.
    How do I do it?
    Sleep is for two reasons. You need to set your mind to rest and you'll need to rest your physical body.
    If you have a problem on your mind, you'll probably end up turning and rolling over in your bed. If your mind is at rest, you'll probably fall asleep easy.
    There is my secret. I try to solve all my problems during daytime. When I go to sleep I use yoga to empty my mind and set it in "relax mode".
    I sleep only to rest my body.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  11. sebstah

sebstah Nibble Poster

i feel for you dude, i was awake for 26 hours yesterday due to night shift (7pm - 7am), usally 6-7 hours is enough for me anything less i dont feel like i have slept.

though when alochol is involved, i'll sleep like a log :)

Certifications: A+,70-270,70-290
    WIP: 70-620
  12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I suffer from a disorder called sleep apnea. Basically, every few minutes or so when I'm asleep, I have to wake up, even just for a few seconds for the breathing cycle to kick in again. Usually, I'm not even aware it's happening but the net result is I never enter into a completely restful sleep and wake up in the morning feeling like a zombie. This is more serious than it sounds. My doctor told me that untreated, this disorder can lead to high blood pressure and even increase the odds of having a heart attack.

I use a machine that forces pressurized air down my throat, holding it open so I won't stop breathing. It dramatically has improved the amount of rest I get during the night. It's not always comfortable and I look like the Elephant Man when I'm wearing it, but it beats the alternative.

Other things affect my sleep patterns, of course. I just found out that I have been hired on for a full-time job so I'm feeling better today, but for the past week or so, I've been waking up in the middle of the night. I had a really good night's sleep last night and had to make myself get out of bed this morning (working on my second cup of coffee, now).

Maybe four to six hours of sleep is good enough for others, but a good eight hours (which I still almost never get) is my goal. Sleep is highly underrated in my humble opinion.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  13. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

My record in staying awake is 162 hours. That's 5 hours short from a whole week.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  14. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Thats crazy, I would be passed out by that time for sure.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  15. THXbob

THXbob Bit Poster

Blimey!

I wonder what the world record is, 162hrs must be nearly up there!

Bob

WIP: CompTIA A+ and Network+
  16. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Sleep deprivation will kill you quicker than starvation.

I find that, for myself, 7 hours a night is adequate, and I do normally get to stick to that much - if not all of full, fitful sleep, then at least quiet time to myself dozing.

If only the world were perfect enough for us to get the 'regulated recommended' 8 hours... and a lie in :rolleyes::twisted:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  17. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

I sleep for 8 - 9 hours a night and get a 10 min lie in :D

Although this would explain why i constantly want work during the day... I always want problem solving work :D.. like sorting out AD which hasnt been administrated properly for 3 years :p

18. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I've always been a light sleeper - most nights its about 5 hours a night, has been since I was 18. Before then I was so active, paper round/part time work, A-level study etc. that 4 hours a night wasn't impossible for weeks on end.

While I was at uni, I guess I was sleeping anywhere between 2 and 5 a night and have continued through to this day - as someone posted earlier, there are more things to do than hours in the day - you either get used to having little sleep, you train yourself or in my case I'm just lucky enough not to need much.

I've been awake for some crazy hours also - the most recent was writing my final year thesis for 6months and we discovered a serious error in our calculations and therefore analysis and conclusions.... it needed a whole re-write so woke 7am Sunday, handed it in Friday midday without sleep - and of course, end of all that work had to hit the bars :) eventually fell into bed around 3am Saturday morning....140 hours - and nailed a first and a publish for that piece of work :D

All nighters were common, coding in Matlab, or C.... completing papers on discrete mathematics... oh the fun days :) They were easily 36 hrs plus (Mon up 0700h - Tues 2300h bed) - probably about once every 4/6 weeks. Sometimes twice a week......

.... purely depends on who you are and what you're like :)

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  19. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Going that long without REM sleep tends to result in hallucinations.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  20. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I started hallucinating after 42 hours without sleep.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009