Sky player

Discussion in 'Networks' started by zxspectrum, Jan 27, 2010.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I have an xbox and also a laptop in which i watch sky tv on for which i pay £41 a month for that i get all the sports and movies etc with other channels thrown in.

Now as i sayd i get movies and sports, movies are fine, no probs there, but sports has a quality problem. There are three qualities high ,medium and low. Was watching Man u v Man city tonight in low quality as high and medium were always buffering, which meant i missed certain bits, so i go to low quality and get a grainy picture but i get to see the flow of the game and the picture i spose is bearable. Now i run the xbox xonnection off 2 networking plugs, one goes to the xbox and the other through the router, which then is connected by the wiring in the mains. The sign comes up on my xbox telling me that my internet connection has slowed so this is when i go to the lowest quality.

I decided with 10 mins to go that i finish watching the match in bed on the laptop, and the quality on that is set to high, and i get a perfect picture. Though the connection on that is wireless and the speed is 54mbp, where as the network plug set up is 100 mbps, i cant work out the reason for the wireless being better quality.

Are sky taking the wee and the reason is the connection is pants is because loads of people are watching the match??? or could there be something else wrong. Could the way i have the net plugs set up be slowing it down even though it works great for MW2 on xbox live and is only problem when its a big match.

Any thoughts anyone??

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It could be a codec issue, bearing in mind that there is a lot of high speed movement there and that's why its having issues (just a guess as I don't have an xbox and I don't know how they stream the content but stream it they do and that does require a codec), I would have thought that the PC\Laptop would always be a better platform for streaming media anyway.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

I had the sky player on the xbox aswell and could never get it to go any higher than medium quality when streaming the football so after the 2 month half price deal was up i cancelled

Seems to me they have a service that they havent sorted properly before rolling out if i had decided to stick with it it would have cost £34 a month just to get the basics and the sports channels nearly the same as getting a dish installed

look on the sky player forums and its just people complaining about a poor service and constant buffering that sky dont seem to bothered about

my broadband connection is about 2.8mb so should be enough and the xbox was cabled not wireless

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

So you're expecting a gaming console to perform as well as a laptop computer?? :blink

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I managed high quality a few months ago, but now I can't watch sports on Sky Player because I need a multiroom subscription. We already give the buggers £70 p/m they ain't having any more lol.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Yeh I took an xbox offer for the skyplayer before coming back to Sky. It's a bit of a "fail" as far as I'm concerned. I don't pay for sport or movies atm and the channels and content are so restricted on the xbox I don't think it's worth it. Don't think I ever managed the "high" setting either.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Just to expect what your paying for nothing more :biggrin and thats the service that they advertise just doesnt seem to be that good

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100