Sky HD

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Tyler D, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I read the other day that BT weren't interested in doing HD. I would like their new package but can't get freeview in my area yet.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  2. Baba O'Riley

Hi Tyler, thanks for the gen. I had a wee word with my girlfriend today and she's given me the go ahead so if you've still got that voucher let me know and I'll PM you my address. Cheers.

Also, I just had a look at the Sky site and there is no mention of them waiving the £10 charge if you have more than one package like they do with the Sky+. Are they not doing that?

3. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

PM me your address baba and the voucher will be on its way:D
    As far as i am aware the £10 sub fee has to be paid no matter what package you are on.

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  4. Baba O'Riley

PM on it's way.:D I owe you a beer.

I just did some research on the £10 sub and in theory you should have to pay two lots of £10, one for Sky+ and one for HD, but they waive the Sky+ sub. Aren't they nice.:rolleyes:

Thanks again Tyler mate.

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Tell me you guys that are into HDTV, have you lot got big flat screen TVs which have HD resolution? I doubt that HDTV will look much different on smaller non HD TVs.

I am thinking of getting a Panasonic 42" HD plasma soon, as they have come down in price dramatically. Is it the same there? - any advice?

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Baba O'Riley

I went for a 50" Samsung DLP rear projection. The technology has it's detractors but the new Samsungs are ace and IMO, the picture quality is up there with the best although I wasn't impressed with the LCD rear projections. Also, they're a lot cheaper and not much deeper than an LCD/plasma. Older rear projections can be huge because they're based on CRTs but the newer models are pretty svelt. I can't wall mount it but as my living room is a loft conversion there's nowhere to mount a TV anyway.

I've downloaded some HD video clips and played them on my media PC on my big TV and the difference in quality really is amazing. Can't wait to get HD TV, I just wish there was a bit more content available.

Over here LCD's are cheper than plasmas until you get to about 36 inches, then plasmas are the cheaper option. Depends what you want though. There used to be a country mile between the two technologies in terms of picture quality but LCDs have really caught up. My old man bought a 37inch Dell LCD for £900 and it's stunning. You can get some very decent plasmas at reasonable prices. IMO, Samsung, Toshiba and Panasonic make some of the best displays. I went off Sony kit a long while ago. Some traditionally cheaper brands are churning out some good kit at the moment, especially LG for plasmas and the aforementioned Dell for LCDs.

Both technologies have their pros and cons though. Plasmas are generally brighter and have better contrast ratios but they are susceptible to screen burn and they suck up the juice a bit more than LCDs.

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Cheers Baba!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I just bought an LG 32" LCD TV HD ready with all the bells and whistles. I'm on cable, so just waiting for them to pull their finger out and get the HD stuff sorted.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong