Skillstrain update

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by thecatsmother, Jan 30, 2009.

1. thecatsmother

thecatsmother Byte Poster

Rather than resurrect an old thread, I thought I'd post this information in a fresh thread as it may be of use to some here.

I have recently completed the course work for the CIW Web Design Manager's course with Skillstrain, and had phoned them yesterday to clarify the exam booking procedure and how to claim the refund from Skillstrain as you have to pay the testing centre upfront and then recoup the cost of the exam from Skillstrain as it's already included in the price you've paid to them. It was explained that you book direct and then forward the confirmation email to Skillstrain, who process the refund and a cheque is mailed out to you in around 3 weeks. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that it's at the time of booking that you claim the refund and not at the time of passing. Nice, but next comes the important bit.

At the time I signed up, I was under the impression that Skillstrain funded resits too in the event that you failed (I don't intend to, but you never know!), and was told in here to read my small print as they allowed you to re-do the course till you passed, but didn't fund the resits. I got a call back today from the woman I'd spoken to yesterday to advise me that the policy has changed and they now fund resits too.

WIP: CIW Website Design Manager
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Maybe the fact that some people have had bad experiences with them and complained has forced them to change their ways which can only be a good thing.

Good luck with your course.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. tobo

tobo Bit Poster

Good to see they have done the right thing and changed it. fair play to them. bit of a swizz if they made you pay for there guarantee!!!!

Thanks for putting that info up. been wondering about it for a while, especially since I have just sent my final TMA for the foundations section and will be booking my exam soon!!

Good luck with the exam. :biggrin

4. thecatsmother

thecatsmother Byte Poster

@tobo: You do know you're going to be sitting all the exams at the end of the course, not at the end of each section (unless they've changed that policy too)? I always thought it was nonsensical, and argued the toss with them about it 18 months ago. Their argument is that some of the later sections re-inforce your learning from the early sections, which is true to an extent but not enough to justify the policy, I think.

WIP: CIW Website Design Manager
  5. mikey3266

mikey3266 Bit Poster

You now sit the exams at the end of each section, or i did anyway in January.. I have only so far sat the Foundations V5 exam but I am intending in a couple of months to sit the Javascript one also.

Certifications: CIW Associate, CIW Javascript
    WIP: CIW Website design manager