Skillstrain on Watchdog

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by michael78, Oct 23, 2008.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Anyone see the piece about Skillstrain on Watchdog. Very interesting about the company saying their training material is out of date for the examples shown on the program and that their claim they are endorsed by Cisco and Microsoft was complete rubbish.

Some poor guy did an Office course and paid £1800 and found the material was for 2000 and not 2007 (or at least 2003). Microsoft said that the training material was very out of date. I think the government needs to start to clamping down on these type of so called training providers. There will be I'm sure some good training providers out there and it can't be easy to separate the good from the bad and it's a lot of money to waste.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Yeah I caught that, it was an interesting watch.

I was glad to see a Microsoft representative say outright that they do not acredit Skillstrain... made my day lol.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I saw this also, just shows what companys like this can get away with!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - I found the last bit of Skillstrain's retort to be amongst the best quotes I've ever heard from any company on Watchdog:
    "They're disappointed with the report, which they feel will damage their students' chances of getting work"

So - basically - you're not allowed to complain about Training Providers now because, in so doing, YOU are responsible for them failing to get employment after they qualify?

LOLOLOL - best laugh I've had in ages!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

The trouble with Skillstrain is they may offer the qualification in a certain subject & advertise that if you get the qualification through them then industry will pay you ££££. In the real world it's experience that counts!

I've heard bad things about them before & yes these types of firms should be regulated as colleges are.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  6. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

There does need to be tougher rules as there is nothing stopping me from opening a training center even if I'm not qualified to teach the subject as such. We are also talking about serious amounts of money that people are paying these so called training providers. I think the big cert providers have a duty to go after these types of companies and sue them or shut them down.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  7. Miro

Miro Byte Poster

I've just watched that now. 2 years ago I kicked skilltrain salesman out of my house. I can not regret that for sure. However the bastard was good at selling the course. And that why people are getting in trouble. Skilltrain use psychological technics for selling and they are good at this. I tell as many people as I can who they realy are. I think you can do it too. Advice to all you friends about them. Some of my friends did not sign with skilltrain cause I told them the truth.

Certifications: A+ IT Technician
    WIP: MCDST, Network+
  8. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

A few years back when I was leaving the military, I had a skillstrain "careers advisor" come to visit me.

He was as slick as a whistle and in no time at all had me convinced that I'd soon have Bill Gates on the phone asking me to sort out his Active Directory structure for him.

I signed up enthusiastically to a number of courses.

An hour or two after he left, I got a sinking feeling in my stomach when I realised that what I'd actually done is just spend nearly 4 grand on what was in effect a distance learning course.:cry:

To my amazement and eternal gratitude however he appeared back at my home later that night to tell me that he'd missold me the course. He explained that he had only being working for them a short time and was about to hand in his notice. He also spent quite a bit of time helping me formulate a proper structured study plan.

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Wow.. that is bordering on incredible :ohmy

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. Jennie rimell

Jennie rimell New Member

I was halfway through my Ccna network course when I had an accident which meant taking pain killers
    I couldn't concentrate had no sympathy from skillstrain and lost £3000 bunch of money grabbers

11. Jennie rimell

Jennie rimell New Member

Skills train salesman talked me into the course and sexually pushed him self on me, I was at a low ebb just lost husband in Iraq and needed to concentrate on something else and also to earn more money now I was on my own bringing up 3 children

12. Jayyykayeeee

Jayyykayeeee New Member

I get ripped off with this . For £2.750 . Wish I didn't take the course from the start as a guy came all the way from Luton to Wales Powys sold me comp Tia a+
    Took advantage of me.
    Gutted to have found it was one big scam .

13. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

£2,750 for just the A+? Holy hell, that's bad. Sorry that this happened to you.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  14. MariuszZ

MariuszZ New Member

Stay away from them if you haven't get involved already.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  15. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

What is your experience with them? Did you attend a course and if so when?

16. MariuszZ

MariuszZ New Member

In short. When you go to school it's about learning not money. You will still pay for it but main focus is knowledge.

When I was enrolled with Skills Train I had impression it's the other way around. Money was important but learning and knowledge wasn't. It was very apparent.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  17. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Isn't Skills Train dissolved ?

18. nisseki

nisseki Byte Poster

I hope it's dissolved. Anyone remember Computeach? Thankfully they are gone too.

19. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Didn’t they rebrand as Train2Game?

20. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

MIS is the parent company, they still are filing returns with companies house, but previously they had separate companies for SkillsTrain, they also started Train2Game not sure what company that brand operated under.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/02646404
    https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/05556496
    https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/05265792

SkillsTrain rebranded as SKILLS4TRADES for a while and was training plumbers, electricians etc. Generally they pulled the same tricks as before.

http://www.train2game.com/
    "Thank you for your interest in one of our courses. Train 2 Game no longer offers training courses. We hope you will find a course to interest you elsewhere."

Seems they've thrown in the towel on that too, guess there is only so many people with $3000 burning a hole in their pocket.

It seems the training sector is more competitive now and better run?

Train2Game sued forum site DigitalTrends for defamation but it appears they lost the case.

MIS has been fighting a court case against HMRC over VAT.
    https://blogs.mazars.com/letstalkta...reement-fatal-to-judicial-review-application/

I have no idea what MIS are doing now and how they are still trading...

More information here...
    http://www.collativelearning.com/SKILLSTRAIN SCAM & REFUND.html

Last edited: May 3, 2020