Skillstrain my Experience

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by lubo, Jun 25, 2007.

1. lubo

lubo New Member

Hi everyone. I thought I should register and share my views on the much talked about Skillstrain on this website. I signed up for Skillstrain CIW Website Manager course around 4 weeks ago which was going to cost £1500. I was really geared up to do this and thought I would check out some of their feedback (should have done so before signing anything) and stumbled across this website with various threads on how bad this company actually were. I then had a look at the folder that the rep left me which was extremely out of date. I decided to cancel having now lost the momemntum to continue with this. I then discovered that my local University (University of Paisley http://ciw.paisley.ac.uk/index.asp) were offering the same courses online. I start the Foundations course next week. Each part of the course costs £199 including exam and as I am new to the University I am entitled to a discount on my first course which will only cost £49. The next course shouldnt cost me anything as these are ILA Funded (www.ilascotland.com) and you can receive £200 a year. If you are lucky enough to earn over £18,000 you can receive £100 off any of these courses. I think this is only available in Scotland.

The University are the first CIW Authorised Academic Partner outside the United States.

As this course is online I think that anyone from UK could probably do this. Not too sure about where you would sit exams though.

So instead of paying £1500 it will now cost £450 with my discounts and have the peace of mind that with a University you cant go wrong.

Maybe Skillstrain is the way to go if they can actually get you a job at the end of it then an extra £1000 is worth it. The rep told me not all students get jobs through them around 70% do but their reputation told me that I would probably be in the unlucky 30%.

Hope this helps anyone looking to go down this route perhaps your local University/College are doing these courses probably worth a look before going to Skillstrain.

WIP: CIW Web Site Manager
  2. SilverWolf

SilverWolf Bit Poster

Hi Lubo, Welcome to the forum. Only just joined here myself. Im studying for CIW Foundations myself. I just had a look at your links for the university and it looks good. I got the Master CIW Designer course for £599 with ICS so i'm happy with that. Computeach tried to charge me £2500 for the course. Skills train just ripped a friend of mine off recently, he paid £2500 for Cisco Engineer course and was told when he went for the exam that the A+ coursework they provided was being retired on 30 June.

WIP: CIW1D0-510, CIW1D0-520, CIW1D0-525
  3. Dhughes

Dhughes Byte Poster

hope it works out well for you then mate, now what you going to do with that grand your left with :biggrin

Certifications: A+ Essentails, A+ Technician , MCDST
    WIP: MCSE
  4. lubo

lubo New Member

Thanks Silverwolf that sounds like a good deal with ICS. Had thought of them but the rep from Skillstrain had warned me off ICS. I wonder why? lol

5. lubo

lubo New Member

Cheers. Never had it in the first place probably beg or steal for the money ?

6. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

That'll be because they're changing to the 2006 A+ objectives; he's not technically being ripped off, they're just taking to the wire how long they can have their 'valid' coursework in circulation. Which does, to be fair, suck.

Welcome to the forums Lupo, and glad you're all sorted - good luck with your studies!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Did you have any trouble cancelling with SkillsTrain?

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. SilverWolf

SilverWolf Bit Poster

Arroryn, I know where your coming from with this but to give someone out of date coursework and not inform them the exam will be changing and split into various professions/job roles and then not agreeing to update him to 2006 even though he is still paying for the course....thats RIPPING someone off!!!! Sorry another member for the I hate SneidyDigger!-StealTrain fanclub.:evil:

WIP: CIW1D0-510, CIW1D0-520, CIW1D0-525
  9. lubo

lubo New Member

No not so far. I sent them in my letter of cancellation by Recorded Delivery they then sent me out a letter of acknowledgement and gave me the freespost address to send the briefcase to. However I gave the rep cash so lets see if I get my £50 back. They also told me to cancel direct debit through my bank as they cannot be held liable for this coming out nothings appeared as yet but will make sure and check that around the time this was due to come off.

10. Arroryn

Wow, I didn't realise they weren't sending any updated coursework for those that had signed up. When they upgraded to the 2005 N+ objectives, replacements weren't sent out automatically, but you could easily request them through the Skillstrain website.

They're setting themselves up for a rafter of legal claims that I don't think they'll be able to fight as they're effectively blocking students from completing a course that is valid.

Needless to say, you're on the track you want to be on - so the best of luck to you :)

11. Rabiul

Rabiul Bit Poster

Hi there, i recently joined skillstrain, but due to recent neg feedaback of skillstrain, thinking of moving to another provider. Whats the address you sent the letter and bag to?

i wish i double checked on skillstrain!!!!

regards

rab

12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Rab have you ever considered self study, training providers are not neccesary to get certified.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  13. Rabiul

Rabiul Bit Poster

I have, but because i sort went straight into work, i thought i would need yhat extra help, and i thought going with a provider will help me.

Whats the best way to self study? whats the best resources? I want to go into network engineering, maybe strat of with a+ because im a newbie in IT, then N+ and hopefully a MCSA/CCNA after

regards

rab

14. greenbrucelee

you should do A+, N+ then MCDST and don't even think about MCSA or CCNA untill you have at least 6 months working experience (thats what microsoft recommend) also bookwise for the A+ you need compTIA A+ all in one exam guide 6th edition by Mike Meyers, another good book to get with the Mike Meyers one is PC technician street smarts by James Pyles who is a member on this forum, he is actually the Administrator goes by the tag of Tripwire45.

15. Rabiul

Rabiul Bit Poster

What do you suggest i do?

Cancel my skillstrain, which i have not started yet and go on to do self stufy method, buy books and such? would i need to buy another computer? also how much will the exam fees cost or vary around (a+)?

I am currently an admin clerk, but looking for a 1st support/help desk job but experiance is required, quite hard for me at the moment. :(

16. greenbrucelee

Its up to but I would recommend self study if you have the determination, if you do self study get the books I mentioned, an old pc would help but isn't neccesary.

The two exams you need to pass for the A+ are £111 each you can book them through either pearson vue or Thomson Prometric (if visit the sites for them you'll be able to find out which is nearest you).

Once you are ready book the exams and take them.

BTW you might find it hard to get out of your skillstrain contract. SO you might be stuck with them

17. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

When did you sign? You may still be in the cooling off period so you can cancel if you want. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  18. Arroryn

It's not necessarily a bad thing, if you stick out the whole course. I've already commented at this in length on another greeting thread, and I don't really have the inclination to type it out in full again. Yes, they're expensive, blah blah, but do the math - if you stick out the whole course, you're not as out of pocket as £X,XXX for a course sounds.

EDIT: I just 'did the math'. On 'as few exams as possible' routes for the CCNA and CCNP, counting I've done the A+ and N+, and assuming Skillstrain's material 'isn't worth the paper it's written on' - which seems to be the de facto feeling around here, including the official books they send out, I reckon you recoup in the region of £2,000 off a £3,500 course (edit edit, I couldn't find the current UK prices for the Cisco exams, so I guessed £150ish a pop). Then add in the benefits of live labs and not paying for the Cisco kit... all I'm trying to say is, if you've signed up for it and you can't cancel it, then you may as well do the course! If there's no way they'll "refund" you outright, the only way you'll get any of your money back is by completing the course! I know the self studying route is cheaper - my argument is for people who are under the illusion they're 'stuck' in a 'predicament'.

Completely agree with you on the MCSE count though - don't go near that Cert till you've got a good few years of work experience under your belt.

19. Rabiul

Rabiul Bit Poster

I signed the contract on Saturday 20th October, have i got time to cancel it?

Yea i figured the self study would be better, i will try to get a helpdesk job/ 1st Line support for experiance, I need your prays as i have no experiance, and it will be hard to get the entry jobs.

20. greenbrucelee

Entry level jobs don't require experience thats why they are called entry level.