SkillsTrain Cisco courses?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Murphy, Jun 5, 2005.

1. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

the oxford ?

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

They all sound like a con what wrong with buying a book and doing some self study and research without forking shitloads of cash.

But if you have the money to throw away then tahts ok by me unless you want to give it to me :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yes its 'The Oxford', as you put it, they have a part time program for experienced industry professionals. You can take individual one week courses at around £1300 a pop, the courses are taught 5 day intensive courses. Take 12 courses and pass, plus a couple dissertations and you can apply for an MSc. Total cost around £20k.

http://www.softeng.ox.ac.uk/

Its a little too expensive for my tastes, yes you could claw it back over a few years in a high end job, might not pay for itself though and it would mean no holidays for 2-3 yrs. :dry

4. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

the CCNA and N+ is £2700 as that is what im doing. With the CCNP included it is £3700

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I paid less than that for A+, N+, CCNA and CCNP.

Maybe their pricing structure is regionalised? It doesn't matter anyway, as well all know self studying is cheaper :rolleyes: :p

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

i'm sure they said it was £1500 but if bundled with the CCNP it was £2700 :scratch

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  7. Liqua

Liqua Bit Poster

Purchasing a book and doing self study requires a certain mindset and discipline - purchasing a course and being led through it can be useful for those who are less organised.

Certifications: CCNA, SND, ITIL Foundation
  8. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

most courses include the exam fees and probably a retest if you fail the first time. spending £2700 on a course is quite motivating :biggrin

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
  9. greenbrucelee

Yeah I understand what you mean, I just couldnt justify that kind of cash.

10. greenbrucelee

Their probable pricing structure is "let figure out this guy so we can change him X amount"

They could train their sales people how to read people and if so they will be able to figure out how much they can get away with charging someone.

Like those supposed clairvoyants on TV (I wont name anyone so I dont get sued) They use cold reading so they can pretend to talk to someones dead relative n stuff

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Unfortunately, for continuing your (hopefully ongoing) IT education after your career starts, most companies will neither foot the bill for a course, nor allow you to take a break from work in order to take a course. Those who cannot learn on their own are often left behind.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. greenbrucelee

I am self studying for my A+ after advice from people on here and think I am managing quite well, although my note taking sucks.

I am reading the required material and researching etc on the net for info and even if I do say so myself "Not bad for someone who was told they had no educational ability"

All you need is determination and maybe the music to record brakers in the background "dedication is what you need" :D

13. BosonMichael

It does take some getting used to... but you can do it!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  14. greenbrucelee

Cheers BM :D

15. Jollyware

Jollyware New Member

I am looking at for starters to do the N+ with Skillstrain.

Do they allow for learning around working hours ?

Is there a set time for courses to be done in ?

Do they have residential courses as part of the training ?

How do they take payment, as a lump sum or monthly payments ?

16. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

They send you the learning material, so you can study when you like. You would have to visit the website for info on course duration and residential courses.

Payment is usualy on a monthly basis with a lender (which they arrange), but imsure that they will take a lump sum.

Have you considered teaching yourself (i.e. "self study"). :D

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  17. BosonMichael

Another vote for self-study.

After all... what's the difference? Either way, you're studying at home, when you like. If you want someone to motivate you, I'll give you motivation at one-tenth of what they'll charge you! 8):p And some people will whack you on the head for less than £10!

18. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Exactly. The only difference is that they send you the learning materials, but you could buy the books yourself at a FRACTION of the cost. As for the tutor support, don't get me started!!! I cant speak for N+, but for CIW the support was Laughable. I actually ended up arguing with the tutors because they kept giving me incorrect answers. I told them "Id rather you said you don't know but would find out, than give me the wrong answer". Anyway, thats why I advise self study mate, save yourself a fortune and ask people HERE questions; IMHO you will get better answers.

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  19. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

As a current Skillstrain Cisco course student, I cannot *knock* their service. Their material has been a little lacking, but yes, this was backed up with decent support. They are also running the update for the new Cisco exams, with the materials scheduled to be sent out to students next month.

As far as training providers go, they're not devils alive. Well, their course isn't. Their salesmen are complete vultures, from what I can gather. If you treat the course well, you will get a fair percentage of your course cost back in refunded exam fees.

However.

This all being said, and despite my good experience with them, I would still also advocate self study. It's dangerous to throw your lot in with a provider, tying yourself down to an expensive course. I echo the advice already said, at how the books cost a fraction of a TP course. If you don't get on well with the material, you can sell the books on eBay and you've barely lost out. If you don't get on with a training provider's course schedule, you're locked in after 6 days, and will still have to shell out the £3K - £6K, or whatever it is they charge these days.

If you are worried about the cost of the exams, then work out how many weeks you are going to study. Say, for the N+, you're going to study for 15 weeks. But by a tenner a week - exam fee covered. And a tenner a week is hardly breaking the bank now, is it?

The choice is your own, and good luck with any decision you make.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  20. Tully

Tully Bit Poster

hey guys....

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in the ring.

Like the countless number of people on these forums I was kind of lost and wondering how I will eer get into IT. I had plenty of educational background, but no IT certifications, and even though my degree was in business Info. Systems, I was never shown how to set up a network or the basics of IT etc.

Anyway, I looked at all the training providers and was really close to taking out a loan to pay for the course, but after doing some research on here and asking some IT agencies what would be the best way to get into the IT world, the answer for me was unanimious....Self study mixed with hands on experince.

I am currently studying for my A+ and N+ exams and so far so good. In the mean while I am applying to all the entry level IT jobs I can find, even if I get rejected, I can use each interview as experince. Whilst I am still unsure about where to go after my A+ and N+ cert wise, I am just focusing on these 2 and getting some experince under my belt.

I would wanted to thank the dudes and dudettes on these forums for helping me out with info, in a world where we are being sold out dreams it's nice to hear from good honest advice without the thought in your head that the guy giving the advice just wants my money.