SkillsTrain A+ Problem

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by richy81, Feb 16, 2009.

1. richy81

richy81 New Member

Hi all,

I'm new member, I've been looking around the forums and this looks like the right place to ask my question (I think):

A little background first though... I originally purchased 3 courses from SkillsTrain/Scheidegger :rolleyes: (A+, Network+ and CCNA) about 3 yrs ago, I had completed 17 TMAs on the A+ Computer Maintenance course after a short while, however I did not undertake any final examinations for the A+ at that time. Due to a new job I had little time to further my home studies since then, but I have recently been made redundant and decided to resume my studies post haste - after all it's all been paid for.

So, I contacted ST and they said that thee syllabus had now been updated to the A+ 2006 syllabus, which was newer than the one I was originally working on, and I was informed that I had to redo the whole course from scratch :thumbdwn.

Disappointed as I was, I started the course again, TMA01 :eek: and submitted the first assignment for marking. A few days after it was marked I got an email sent through from my "tutor" stating...

I was a little confused by this to say the least, but then a few days later I received Part A of the Network+ course material. So, I rang ST to see what was going on, they said there "was a note" on my account saying that "I had covered all the material needed for the A+" and didn't need to redo it all, I could begin work on the Network+ course from then on.

I asked them did I not need to undertake and examination to acquire the A+ certificate and they said "No". I asked them would they send me an A+ certificate out then, but they said "we wait until you complete ALL of your courses (ie. A+, Network+ and CCNA) and THEN send out your certificates".

Is this correct? Do you not receive your A+ qualification immediately after you take the examination?

Do you really have to wait until ALL courses are completed in order to get physical proof of completion?

I'm still a little confused about what's going on here...:blink

I would be grateful for any input guys, thanks.

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

if you haven't done two A+ exams then you do not have the A+ certification you may have satisfied skillstrains requirements for passing the A+ part of your course but you have NOT passed the A+.

So you may get a certificate from skillstrain not from compTIA.

I would ask skillstrain for clarification on ths.

To pass the A+ you must pass two exams: 220-601 (Essentials) this mandatory then you have to pass one other 220-602 IT technician, 220-603 IT help desk technician and 220-604 Depot technician.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

To further clarify, certificates from a training provider (such as SkillsTrain) aren't worth much (if anything) to an employer. By contrast, a certification from CompTIA holds much more weight.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. richy81

richy81 New Member

Thanks for the quick replies, I will get clarification from ST tomorrow, but it looks like I will have to complete the A+ from scratch again then in order to get the CompTIA A+ qualification.

I will post here to let you know what they say, thanks again.

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

if you think you are ready why not just take the exams?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I believe that once you have completed the entire course they send you out their "completion" certificate, which isn't worth the paper it's printed on as far as an employer is concerned.

Once you have completed each element of the course (ie, A+, N+ and so forth) the onus is on you to book and sit the exam at a local testing centre. Once you have passed the exam, send them a copy of your official certificate to get a refund of the exam cost.

You do not have to wait until the end of the entire course to sit the vendor exam (that would be madness).

Unfortunately, since your last studies the A+ exam did receive a massive overhaul; this is nothing that the TP could provide for with such a break in your study, but you should just be able to grab a book on it and do an overview of the new requirements, instead of going through all the TMAs again. I did this with the Network+ - steamed ahead with a different book, only did half the TMAs, sat the exam and still got my refund, then moved on to the CCNA.

PM me if you want any more Skillstrain advice :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

That's not right, even on their website it states:

No you don't once you've passed both required exams, it can take 4 to 8 weeks for delivery from Comptia directly.

Proof of completion isn't the same as having the actual qualification. You may have to wait for their own cert/diploma of completion on their terms. Unless their own in-house certificate/diploma has been mapped to the NQF by the QCA or SQA (or another EU qualifications regulatory body) I would strongly recommend doing the Comptia exams sooner rather than later.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security