Sisters laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greenbrucelee, Jul 12, 2009.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Nah she won't hold off. If my sister wants something then has to be done ASAP and nothing will change her mind.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Sounds like Mrs Sparky. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Look on the bright side, unless the HD is damaged, they'll probably not reformat the drive because it'll take more time. After much tutting and drawing breath through your teeth you can say "I may be able to retrieve your photos" and gain considerable brownie points by simply navigating to the windows.old folder.
    Don't let her know it was that easy=more brownie points

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Ahh, I'm sure I must have read that at some point in the past. I'm so used to backing up profiles and such before a re-install, I never touch the windows.old folder other than to get rid of it. Hey I learnt something new tonight, my apologies for giving out bad info!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

no need to apologise dude - we are not all perfect!

6. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Exactly.. but who installs an OS without formatting the drive, really?!:eek:

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  7. greenbrucelee

I told my sister when she got that laptop she should have upgraded it straight away (can't find the thread but it was entitled stupid sister has got vista) because even when this laptop was fresh it was taking ages to boot due to the crappy cpu and ram installed.

I learned a new thing too apparently the firewall and anti virus was set to maximum saftey but my niece has been switching it off because it wouldn't allow her on certain sites.

I have said that it's pretty feasable she has a virus or corrupt drivers but she wont have it because her friend who is up on computers (she's a secretary) say's it isn't.

But my will believe her friends over anyone else so I await the verdict from this computer shop.

8. Patch230

Patch230 Nibble Poster

Oh I've got a sister like this.

I refuse to help her now :biggrin

Good job its not up these parts. Our local "computer expert" will charge £60 for restoring a laptop. something that can usually be fixed by pressing F12 or similiar at boot up

Certifications: MCDST MCSA
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Quite literally ROFLMAO. Tell her to do one - if she prefers the advice of secretary over someone who works in IT then there's no hope for her anyway. I don't take any **** from relatives or in-laws. Either they accept that I know what I'm talking about, or I tell them to f*** off and stop wasting my time.

Its like those morons who take their car to a mechanic (because they don't know what's wrong with it or how to fix it), then tell the mechanic they're wrong when they tell them what the problem is. Dude - if you knew what the frickin problem was, why did you take the goddamn car to the garage in the first place?

Human Race Fail.

BTW - the answer was nice and early in the thread - boot from a LiveCD, pull all the data out of the folders then format and reinstall. The laptop has no business running Vista with that amount of RAM, has had oodles of ****e installed since she bought it, she's been disabling the firewall and has installed Limewire to download Christ knows what onto it.

How old (if you don't mind me asking) is your sister?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. greenbrucelee

she's a 40 year old retard who thinks she's an expert in everything, she got a dog so she is now an expert and tells my mum how to care for her dog not taking into account my mum has had dogs since she was 30 and is now 68. She bought a car(fiat panda) against everyones advice now she's an expert in driving tin cans :).

11. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Yep I've got a few friends like that. Best advice I can give is to say "In my opinion, the system probably has a virus or two, Limewire is notorious for it, and I may be able to recover your files, as long as they aren't infected, and reinstall" Then its up to her what happens. Bear in mind though that fixing other peoples damage, especially that of a secretary, usually takes longer, and might cost:D

I've had a friend take the advice of a sweet factory worker (Bear Share is good, especially on illegal installs of XP, apparently). Another friend always takes his system to the local cowboy for a second opinion, which usually costs a bit, then results in him being told its hardware, which he can happily replace, before realising he can't afford it and bringing it back to me to recover files, reinstall, and install anti-virus which I know will be uninstalled the moment I leave - hence the constant stream of viruses.

Certifications: HND Computing
  12. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

rofl.. i skimmed over that pretty quick..
    i thought she bought a pet panda:biggrin

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  13. greenbrucelee

well she phoned up tonight and whoever the guy is who has the laptop has told her A: it's the memory B: it's a virus C: it's both

So we were right although she will never admit it directly.

14. Sparky

LOL!

Reminds me of a time I turned up at a customer site to help resolve some speed issues on the network. The secretary suggested I should fit bigger hard drives on the PC to resolve the issue.

<sigh> :rolleyes:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  15. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I can top this - from today no less. User from sales reporting slow network speeds when connected to the LAN (turned out to be a switchport some pillock had configured for 10Mb F/D and not told anyone about). When I went to their orifice (oh the joys of having to do support when we're short-handed) to take a look at their patching one of the other sales pillocks said that I should 'change the MTU' - because that's what he'd done at home on his router and it had fixed his slow broadband speeds.

I LOLed... then smashed his head repeatedly into the desk and beat him into unconsciousness with an angle-poise lamp.

Actually, I just ignored him - but if you've ever seen those cartoons in Mad magazine where the person's shadow is doing something completely different to what the person is doing... well, you get the ides :twisted:

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  16. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

omg my drink.... all over my keyboard:clap

17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

aaaahahahahahah!!! :biggrin Classic!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  18. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

You should have done, then when the issue wasn't resolved, blame the secretary :twisted:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  19. Sparky

LOL! That would be a great day :biggrin