Single Sign On (SSO)

Discussion in 'Software' started by zxspectrum, Sep 16, 2015.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Hey

Does anyone use this facility/set up? I'm after information on something as at the moment in work we have a bit of a mess to contend with.

Our network is rather straight forward, a user gets a letter, they get given a random password in that letter, they sign on, change the password to one they know then this will be their password for 3 systems, their network login, their email log in and the password for the printing, although the password for the printing is mapped to a card, which they only have to do once, when the password is changed for what ever reason, they will have to remap the card, the NW password will sync with the users email as it is linked to AD

Ok, now the other issue we face is these other apps that the students are meant to use, we have moodle, kloodle, BKSB and a system called parent pay. Now if all these could be on the same level that would be amazing and save myself and others a lot of work, especially in the weeks were we have new students etc, as it must be horrible for them, new place, new people, a million passwords to remember etc.

https://webservices.blog.gustavus.edu/2009/09/16/the-benefits-of-single-sign-on-sso/

I have read this and to me, It makes sense, however that doesn't mean its fool proof, so I am wondering if anyone uses any sort of SSO?

To take up some of the workload we have got a password reset system in place, where a user will enter their user ID, DOB, postcode and some security questions, however we are tending to find that this can create a backlog as they sometimes struggle with putting the required info in.

So one password for all would be amazing?

Any feedback is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Eddie

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Its the only sensible approach in my book, large companies with enterprise systems easily end up with 50-100 applications, one password each with different reset intervals and different complexity requirements is simply unworkable.

3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I'm campaigning to get SSO implemented at my work. It's a nightmare without it.

We've got around 3k users, multiple apps with different logons at present.

Big project, but 100% worth it

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

We have it and I'd be lost without it, as Dave said it cuts down on a lot of passwords to remember, consequently cuts down on password resets required and increases productivity which if you're looking at a large number of employees is essentially a must, I think we have around 90,000

Just checked, 93,000 in 72 countries, nice!

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Absolutely well worth it, there are a few implementations out there that offer SSO both internally and as a SAAS offering.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Is SAAS short for Software as a Service SI???

Cheers

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  8. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Yup it's a big thing within our company both to use and as something we sell as a product.

Believe we offer it as on premise or as a service so know that both options are there.