Since upgraded the Memory, few issues occurring..plz..help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 1Q2W3E, Apr 1, 2011.

1. 1Q2W3E

1Q2W3E Bit Poster

Hello everyone

My friend has recently upgraded my memory to speed up the laptop and since the new memory is installed, there are few issues occurring.

I scanned my laptop with “crucial.com” website, and according to them there are two memory slots and each slot can hold a maximum capacity of 512MB of RAM, so 512 per slot, which adds up to a total of 1024MB(maximum capacity).

The reason that I scanned my computer is that, my friend can’t remember the size of the original memory and whether he added the new one or removed the original one and placed it with the new one.

Currently, there are two memories installed in my laptop, one is 256MB, which I presume this is the original one, and the second one is 1GB. So the total memory currently installed is: 1.25GB and the maximum memory capacity is 1024MB = 1GB.

The issues currently occurring are:

1. When the computer starts, it state that “you have recovered from a serious error”
    2. When it goes to standby, it doesn’t come out of it, so the screen goes black and the hard disk still works.
    3. I enabled the hibernation and set the standby to never, and when the computer goes to hibernation, a blue screen appears with several sets of numbers and I have to switch it off/on with the button.

I’m using windows XP Professional (SP3)
    Version: 2002 (32-bit)
    Sony VAIO

Can anybody tell me how to fix this please, because this is nightmare.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
    Certifications: Degree
    WIP: MCSA
  2. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

Seems to be more a bios/OS issue than a direct hardware one.

1. See on google if there are many known issues with the RAM and SP3 and what, if anything can be done about it. Also copy down the BSOD error messages and google those.

2. See if there is a more recent BIOS for the laptop.

3. Run stress testing on the memory sticks and see if you can acquire any information from that.

Not much help but it is how I would start - I would check in the Bios as well to make sure that the RAM is running within normal parameters too.

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Remove the 256 MB stick and see if you still have issues.
    If you do, the 1GB stick is probably either faulty or not compatible. If not, the two different types of RAM are not compatible with each other.
    Googling the "several sets of number" you get on the BSOD might throw up some useful info.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

from what you've said w8 have installed too much ram: plus you say each slot holds 512 but you have put 1024 in one?

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  5. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

Agree :p Check the data sheet / spec for your laptop, find the correct memory and buy a matching pair, or get the spec from the 256 and buy another. Not really recommened to miss match memory, always better to stick to same make.

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  6. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Having too much memory is not neccesarily a problem, it depends on how the BIOS handles it. It may just ignore the extra memory and report 512 in that slot. Testing the sticks individually will confirm that one way or the other. It will also confirm if both sticks are working and compatible.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

What model Sony VAIO is it?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. 1Q2W3E

1Q2W3E Bit Poster

Thank you all so much for your support, really appreciate for all your comments.

9. 1Q2W3E

1Q2W3E Bit Poster

the mode is: PCG-791M

10. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

OK, have a read of your first post.. go on read it.

There you go, a little hint for you.

And you wonder why you're having issues.

Follow the recommendations from the Crucial website and I am sure you're going to be ok.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  11. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Almost certainly what Simon said. The very first PC I had I put more than the recommended amount of ram and it would BSOD a few times a day if you took them out it worked tip top. I was too young to know any better so just dealt with getting booted off mid Battlefield 2 :biggrin

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3