Sims -

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by morph, Mar 18, 2008.

1. morph

morph Byte Poster

i wanted to ask if anyones messed around with a router/switch sim and i'm wondering if its worth me getting one.
    I failed the ICND 2 the other week and i think the main topic for me is just going through commands etc.. on a switch and router looking at the results that sort of thing. I appreciate i can geta router sim and maybe load IOS's onto it - am i looking in the right place for this ? or is kit the best thing ?

Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you can afford it, actual gear is always better. However, if you cannot, the next best thing is a quality simulator. Since I work for a company (Boson) that offers one (NetSim), you would think I'd be highly biased towards it. However, to be honest, I haven't used it, since I have access to real gear and I work on the exam simulator products, not the router/switch simulator product. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I would recommend getting the real thing if you can afford it, as I have heard several comments on how some router/Cisco sims are limited in what they can do. But as for which sims are the best or worst, I have no idea. I also assume it depends on what level of CISCO cert you're going for as well as to how much functionality you need (eg. the skill set tested on the CCENT will not be as indepth as the CCNP, etc).

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

I am currently in the Cisco Academy CCNA course at my local college, and we have access to the equipment in class, but I don't have that setup at home so I use a sim. We use a program from Cisco called Packet Tracer which is a really good sim. I don't know if it is supposed to be free, but we didn't have to pay for it. There are labs in the book that you can load into packet tracer and have a scenario to work through, test, troubleshoot, whatever, and you can also create a custom network layout, practice cabling, configuration, etc. It's a really cool product!

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822