Silly thing I've been asked to sort out

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by stutheview, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

You may think he was taking the mick out of them but that is actually true. Well a few years ago it certainly was the case. I remember the university connection I used to use was fantasic first thing in the morning, but right on cue at around the time the east cost of america was waking up (usually midday GMT) many sites would almost grind to a halt. Then a few hours later when the west coast joined in it got even worse. Doesn't seem to be the case these days, but I can remember a time when it was.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

It's an urban myth surely and also older than the hills. I have heard that one many times, but never come across someone who was that stupid in real life. Mind you, there is always a first time for anything ...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. ajs1976

ajs1976 Byte Poster

I'm on the east coast of the US, and if I need to download some big files, I try to do it first thing in the morning before the west coast wakes up and gets online.

Did you ever see anyone use the CD tray as a Cup Dispenser? I never saw it, just heard about it. I did see someone try to use it as a shelf.

The worst one I saw was when an attorney complained about his keyboard not working. After seeing the problem, I asked my contact if the guy had even used his computer in the last couple of months. The keyboard was full of water and so was the tray it was sitting in. the water was stagnant and had a bunch of bugs living in it. And it smelled bad.

Certifications: MCSE, CCEA, Sec+, L+, N+
    WIP: 2008, CAG, or CCENT (not sure)
  4. aw69

aw69 Byte Poster

Modey
    When I was doing my It Essentials at Gateshead college I actualy had kid of about 18yrs ask me where the "any key" was I thought he was joking,but the look on his face was serious. This is on my kids lives and not long after him and his mate left the course it could have been that he was bored and did not want to be on the course but I'm not sure. As for being that stupid I could tell you some stories,as for myself I don't consider myself to be really intelligent as you can probably tell from some of my posts lol:biggrin

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+ Network+
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Have to catch me first, ya hippie! ow! hey! quit it! :kuli

I've got a pitchfork, and I'm not afraid to burn you with it! :devilflam

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. oztrailrider

oztrailrider Nibble Poster

The stupidity of users never fails to amaze me. I am sure I will have some interesting stories one day. :D

Certifications: MCP (70-270)
    WIP: A+
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

There was the time when a user wanted to print something from a web page...a recipe I think. He didn't want to print the webpage itself and there wasn't a print-friendly version, so I had to show him how to select text then copy and paste it into a Word document. He really had a time with using his mouse to select the text. :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

I do remeber when back to the future first came out and a tech guy managed to convine my extremely non technical boss that the office PC was not going to fixed soon as its flux capaciter was in a state of mis-flux :)

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

ROTFLMAO !! Mike just called Arro a hippie - everyone pull up a chair and watch his 'nads get solidly booted into next week !!! :biggrin

Seriously(ish), there was a great recent post to a tech support movie where the seasoned tech training the newb was describing all the above users as "twelve o' clock flashers" .... on the grounds that all the clocks on the electronic devices in their houses constantly flashed at 0:00 00, as they had never figured out how to programme them

True or what ?? :hhhmmm :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I had a user call me repeatedly asking on how to copy and paste. I must of explained 5 or 6 times through the day. It took the user about 2 days with taking a note on how to copy and paste before the calls stopped.

Now that took a lot of patience.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

But... she likes it when I call her that. :biggrin

Besides, I'm already *in* next week. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!