SIDS, and restoring from an image

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Jakamoko, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hey Guys - been reading around this one a lot over the last few days, and I think I have the answer, but not quite 100% (which I need to be before starting)

Situation is, I am setting up a Windows SBS server with AD, with 4-6 PCs joined to the domain. 4 of the PCs are brand new, so will be created with a master image I'm putting together, most likely built using sysprep. Each PC will be for just the one user, so not as if others will be logging on.

So - in a situation whereby say I have to rebuild a machine that goes pear-shaped, will restoring the image and rejoining the PC to the domain simply allow that user straight back onto the network as before, with access to all their data, etc ? Or am I going to be running into an issues with SIDS being different as a result of the rebuild?

I know if you delete and re-add a user, the SIDS will be changed, so no access, but in this scenario, the user is not being deleted ( as held in AD), just the computer that is being rebuilt. So am I right in thinking that using the above procedure, I can have the user' PC rebuilt and back online in pretty much no time ?

Please ask if I have not been clear above, and thanks in advance :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

If you are using AD then you should be redirecting their home folders and either using roaming (I think in your case this is not an issue) or mandatory profiles. If these are stored on a server and therefore backed up, then SID's arn't really an issue, coz the onlt stuff on the PC is the OS and Apps.

AJ now waits for the "stop talking like a pillock reply"

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

That sounds like fairly much what I was after, AJ - thanks for that. Am I right in thinking that when (or if) rebuilding the PC from the image, I would only just have to join it to the domain, and the user would log in and authenticate, therefore picking up the same profile automatically ?

4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Sounds about right mate. Just remember when you re-image to either remove the original computer from AD or give the re-imaged machine a different name.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I agree it all should go to plan if you do what AJ said Jak.

Personally though, if you get the opportunity, I would test out the theory in practice and make sure before guaranteeing or promising anything to anyone.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Not used the image option myself but if i have a pc that goes belly up i reinstall using RIS after first delecting there computer account only in AD as the NIC id is stored against this and wont let it join again

So after deleting this and installing via RIS i only habe to join to the domain again and all shares and redirected MY Docs work ok

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Cool - thanks to you all for your advice. I'll report back with an update.

@ Pete - agreed, I'll deff test it out before implementing it :)

8. eyeball

eyeball Nibble Poster

Yes, it works, it is what we use. As said though, either delete from AD or change the computer name.

Also remember, imaging looses all information on local machine too. We have some user who save information to where ever they want to!

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCSA
    WIP: CCNA, MCSE+security