Shut Down vs Hibernate

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tripwire45, Jan 2, 2005.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I've been meaning to ask you laptop experts out there this question for quite some time. I use my laptop extensively both at work and at home. This means, that my mobile computer is indeed mobile for five days out of seven. I almost never actually shut down the laptop any more since putting it in and out of hibernation seems so much faster.

Question is, besides just the time it takes, are there pluses and minuses to choosing to completely shut down the laptop when I go to and from work versus just putting it in hibernation?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Obvious point that springs to mind is that you have to allow the equivalent amount of physical memory on the laptop to be available on the HDD when you enable Hibernate, in order that the machine can store a "snapshot" of the current settings.

...but you probably knew that already :oops:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

well the obvious ones are any dead memory and such wont get reset during a hibernate, so depending on the stuff you install (you are pretty sensible though trip) you may find it gets more sluggesh towards the end of the 5 days, a reboot/shutdown would remove this problem

other than that i have noticed no problems

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Thanks for the "heads up", guys. Ryan, I have noticed a performance slow down at times. I usually reboot or do a shutdown for the night about once a week.

Certifications: A+ and Network+