should i start with MCDST?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by wossy, Jul 5, 2010.

1. wossy

wossy New Member

Hi,

Currently finished college studying BTEC Level 2 in IT (long story should've been on level 3 but missed out on a couple of marks on my maths GCSE), anyway I have some experience in IT when i did 2 weeks work experience working with the IT technicians at school, i helped reformat netbooks and troubleshoot problems that the teachers were facing. I have also passed ECDL and got the certifcate for that, I've now got another 2 years at college where i'll be doing a BTEC Level 3 in IT but would like to gain certificates whilst im still doing my BTEC at college. Once i leave college i'll aim to employment rather then university, I'll also try and gain some more experience whilst im at college.

Where to start with the certs? I've read the pinned topic above and that micheal myers (2 books 271 and 272) look like what i need but i'd like other peoples opinions before i proceed, cheers!

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

A+,Network+ and MCDST is the general starting point.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

What he said^

Meyers AIO study guides for the A+ and Network+ along with James Pyles PC Technician Street Smarts and some decent quality practice exams (Preplogic, Transcender or Boson).

MS Press for the MCDST (plus some decent practice exams from the vendors above as well).

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  4. wossy

wossy New Member

5. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Best of luck, as you say nailing the A+ and Network+ before the end of december is your best target as you avoid the renewal, if you've already spent some time working on basic networks and building/fixing PCs you should be ok to get them done in time!

Oh, and remember if a posts been helpful a quick click of that 'Was this post helpful?' button always goes down well :biggrin

...what? don't all look at me like that! Without rep I'll wither and die.....

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10