should i pursue a server 2008 cert without on the job experience?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by shatheone, Apr 24, 2013.

1. shatheone

shatheone New Member

Im just looking for some general advice based off of what i've heard from different sources. Ive been in a technical school (job orps) for over a year studying for my IT certifications, so far i have my A+, Net+, MCTS (70-680) and i'm scheduled to take my MCITP (70-685) cert test next week. pending the test results, im up to study for the network infrastructure configuring for server 08 (70-642). now mind you, these certifications are all payed by for by job corps, its a government funded program if you've never heard of it, so staying longer would cost cost me anything but time. additionally, i would probably be have other certs, like active directory and maybe even CCNA afterwards. however, i'm eager to start working to get my life started and would like as many as my certs used as possible for any entry level job i can pursue.

I've read that you wont find a enrty level position fixing/configuring servers starting out, which is understandable. I've read that you wont find a enrty level position fixing/configuring servers starting out, which is understandable. but i would like my entry level postion to utilize as many of my certs as possbile. i feel ive took the time to get them, mine as well use em.

so my questions are a.) can attending a vocational count as valid "work" experience on a resume and b.)should i leave after getting my 70-685, or just stay and continue to study server 2008 as well as 1-2 more certs that might be available.

also, would there be another certification you would recommend me pursuing if not the 70-642, if any

thank you very much for any feedback given

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  2. BigG

BigG Nibble Poster

I probably would stick with the 70-685 and get the MCSA Windows 7 qualification. This shows that you are grounded in win 7.
    Businesses are more likely to let someone "fix" clients rather than "servers" with little experience.
    After that, I'd go for the Server 2012 exams rather than 2008 as these are the latest ones - but i'd start them once i have employment. Having an arm-full of certs but no experience will work against you!

Not sure what you mean by "vocational" but any experience is experience to put on your CV. Just don't exaggerate it. Creating a user account in AD does not make you "proficient in AD" :)

ATB

G

Certifications: BSc, Prince2 Practitioner, MCSA Win7, MCSA 2008
    WIP: Vmware, ITILv3 on the back burner
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

First I'd like to say that there is nothing wrong with learning Active Directory or any Server related technology. It will actually help you in your first job. With that said, I doubt that the Windows Server 2008 certifications would be much of a help starting out. Reason for that, is because when you apply for help desk and desktop support jobs, their primary interest is not what knowledge you have on server technology, but more related to end user technology.

However some opportunities(rare) have a growth path in place, where you start at the bottom of the latter and move your way up. Showing that you understand server technology would be a big plus for you.

At the end of the day, you set a plan and you follow through until you get to where you want to be. I started out with just A+, network+, and MCDST. After three years, I passed MCSA and from that moment on, I just started working on certifications that pertain to my job. At some point, you will no longer be a junior tech and that's when your career can really grow.

You're on the right path for with certifications so keep it up!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. shatheone

shatheone New Member

well i feel like an update is in order since i last posted here. well i passed my 685, and i recently got offered a job at sanofi pasteur as an OSS technician, its pretty much working in the migration from windows xp to windows 7. the project is only scheduled for 4 months but the recruiter has told me it can lt coudl last alot longer than that. but yeah, obviously wont be staying here to work on my server because i feel i need some real world experience before i continue any deeper. plus ive heard that this is a great company to work for, jsut the name on the resume can lead to various opportunities, so how can i pass that up