Should I do N+ if i have CCNA

Discussion in 'Network+' started by bazzawood30, Jul 17, 2010.

1. sigh100

sigh100 New Member

No offence but a lot of helpdesk people I know (and yes that is more than 25!) don't have an IT background. It si where most IT support people start. It does appear that this distinction is changing though with competition for jobs I guess.

1st line jobs often don't require a lot of IT experience. Maybe that is changing, what do I know, but its just my twopenneth!
    Why would an A+ be helpful to someone answering calls on Novell log-in issues or Microsoft Office issues or answering questions on the best software for VOIP. I always thought A+ was more for bench technicians I know there is a remote technician 2nd part as well but a lot of companies would not want 1st line support logging into clients machines. I will stand corrected here if the more experienced guys on here disagree with that. Just my limited viewpoint. Am I wrong here?!

It does appear to be quite cloudy at the foot of the ladder as we all are trying to get up it but but a clear base is not very defined. It seems as you get up the ladder it gets clearer i.e. you head down a server admin route or a network admin route. 1st line and 2nd line can cover a lot of territory depending on the companies remit and what your supporting I guess. To be fair Veloce that looks a tough job I guess companies know they can ask for those qualifications for that role now as many guys both with experience and quals are desperate to get something.

Anyway good luck mate I hope you nail it! Good luck with your N+ too.

:biggrin

Certifications: HND Computing N+ ITIL v3
    WIP: 70-680 other
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Unless you are talking about a call-logging helpdesk role, then remote admin will almost certainly be a core part of someones job on a helpdesk, at least in a corporate role. Third party app/system support to the general public perhaps less so, true.

Our helpdesk have remote access to everyones machine. Its much easier to diagnose and fix a machine effectively with access to see what they are seeing/doing.

It can be, but for all the talk of different job titles, the actual roles are fairly similar: either helpdesk, or local tech really.

The details of the job can differ, and what they expect people to have can too, but the role usually boils into one of those two categories.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

A+ isn't just about hardware... it's about the entire troubleshooting process, including software issues. In addition, the A+ touches on basic customer support - how to handle situations where you're being blasted by a customer, either on the phone or in person.

Whether 1st line support should log into clients' machines depends entirely on the company. I absolutely had my 1st line techs log into clients' machines.

Well, we experienced guys try to make it clear for you guys by advising that you pursue the A+, Network+, and MCDST, and we even try to tell you why you should do those certifications. Sadly, for some, that's not enough.

Not really... there's not typically two separate paths. Server admins often go on to become network admins, and quite often, techs do both jobs. Sure, you might decide to specialize on something, but it's not a requirement. I rather enjoy the variety of doing both.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. YAZHND

YAZHND New Member

Hi all

First, I am new to this forum, but i am finding that it offers great support and information regarding diffrent ICT certificates.It is realy great so a big thank to you all for the help and support you are giving.

I need some advice from you regarding A+, N+ and Security+ Cert please. I do know as you all know that A+ will change in this coming year 2011, and i am planing to seat for it before the end of this year to avoid the 3 years new policy they are starting . So along with the A+ which one you can advise me to take ? N+ or Security+ ?

Sorry I forgot to tell you , i am on HND computing course which i will finish by March 2011. I got two books to do home study, which i read about in diffrent forums and every one recomending them ( All in One Comptia A+ Certification 7th edition M. Mayers and Managing and troubelshooting PCs Lab Manual 3rd edition Mike Mayers).

My 2nd question is about : 1st line support and Helpdesk Support if you can tell me what are the rols in each and what are the diffrencess.

Hope i havent asked you many questions and thank you all in advance:colour

5. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

After A+ the Network+ tends to be the next logical step. As for Security+ I would do other certs like MCDST or some MCTS's first as I think you would get more out of them than Security+ early on in your career.

As for 1st line and helpdesk to my understanding they are pretty much the same thing. For what 1st line does well that depends on the company. Some are reading off a script and don't have a technical background and some 1st line are very technical and know their stuff inside out.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  6. YAZHND

YAZHND New Member

Many thanks michael78 for your quick reply and good advice.

Hope someone in the helpdesk field or 1st line position will give more details .

Once againe many thanks