Should I bother with CCENT with no experience?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by HalfPastJohn, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No, actually, this is not what I said (yet again, you misrepresent my position - huge surprise). :rolleyes: I did not say that the CCNA exam deals ONLY with implementation; I said that it primarily (mostly, largely) deals with implementation.

Further, I never said that it deals with "theory which has been learned elsewhere." You don't need to take Network+ to be able to understand and pass the CCNA. You can learn theory while studying for the CCNA.

More to the point, I said that the CCNA is not a replacement for Network+, as Network+ deals with concepts and theory that are not on the CCNA (just as the CCNA deals with things that are not on Network+).

I hope this clarifies things for you.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I am not here to argue Daniel, everyone has their own opinion and I respect yours. I am just saying from my experience, and I probably did not use the same syllabus as you did, but from my experience when I did the Cisco networking academy course for CCNA was very different from the Network+. I felt like Network+ covered a lot more theory than CCNA did.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. BosonMichael

My point exactly. Repped.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  4. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Me either mate. Just because i am trying to back up my point, it doesn't mean i am saying your opinion doesn't count. this is your experience of it and fair enough. I am just trying to point out my experience of it, and how i see it now.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Here are the N+ domains covered in the exam from the Mike Meyers book (latest edition)

Network Technologies 20%
    Network Media and topologies 20%
    Network devices 17%
    Network management 20%
    Network tools 12%
    Network security 11%

Topics covered within the domains

Installing a soho network
    Installing an advanced wireless network
    Installing structured cabling
    configuring a home router
    configuring a cisco router
    Configuring a software firewall
    Configuring a hardware firewall
    Configuring an IPv4 client
    Configuring an IPv6 client
    Working with soho WAN connection
    Configuring a DNS server
    Configuring aDHCP server
    Configuring a web server
    Configuring VLAN
    Configuring a VPN
    Configuring a dynamic routing protocol

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. danielno8

This in no way says what you said above. The crux of the point you are making has changed throughout this thread in your responses to me. I only ever initially picked up on the first post (which is untrue, as i have said CCNA certifies theoretical knowledge which you learn through studying the Cisco Syllabus)

Do you care to share this basic networking theory from the Network+ which is not learned in the CCNA?

7. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

CCNA Syllabus Content

Describe how a network works

Describe the purpose and functions of various network devices
    Select the components required to meet a network specification
    Use the OSI and TCP/IP models and their associated protocols to explain how data flows in a network
    Describe common networked applications including web applications
    Describe the purpose and basic operation of the protocols in the OSI and TCP models
    Describe the impact of applications (Voice Over IP and Video Over IP) on a network
    Interpret network diagrams
    Determine the path between two hosts across a network
    Describe the components required for network and Internet communications
    Identify and correct common network problems at layers 1, 2, 3 and 7 using a layered model approach
    Differentiate between LAN/WAN operation and features
    Configure, verify and troubleshoot a switch with VLANs and interswitch communications

Select the appropriate media, cables, ports, and connectors to connect switches to other network devices and hosts
    Explain the technology and media access control method for Ethernet networks
    Explain network segmentation and basic traffic management concepts
    Explain basic switching concepts and the operation of Cisco switches
    Perform and verify initial switch configuration tasks including remote access management
    Verify network status and switch operation using basic utilities (including: ping, traceroute, telnet, SSH, arp, ipconfig), SHOW & DEBUG commands
    Identify, prescribe, and resolve common switched network media issues, configuration issues, auto negotiation, and switch hardware failures
    Describe enhanced switching technologies (including: VTP, RSTP, VLAN, PVSTP, 802.1q)
    Describe how VLANs create logically separate networks and the need for routing between them
    Configure, verify, and troubleshoot VLANs
    Configure, verify, and troubleshoot trunking on Cisco switches
    Configure, verify, and troubleshoot interVLAN routing
    Configure, verify, and troubleshoot VTP
    Configure, verify, and troubleshoot RSTP operation
    Interpret the output of various show and debug commands to verify the operational status of a Cisco switched network.
    Implement basic switch security (including: port security, trunk access, management vlan other than vlan1, etc.)
    Implement an IP addressing scheme and IP Services to meet network requirements in a medium-size Enterprise branch office network

Describe the operation and benefits of using private and public IP addressing
    Explain the operation and benefits of using DHCP and DNS
    Configure, verify and troubleshoot DHCP and DNS operation on a router.(including: CLI/SDM)
    Implement static and dynamic addressing services for hosts in a LAN environment
    Calculate and apply an addressing scheme including VLSM IP addressing design to a network
    Determine the appropriate classless addressing scheme using VLSM and summarization to satisfy addressing requirements in a LAN/WAN environment
    Describe the technological requirements for running IPv6 in conjunction with IPv4 (including: protocols, dual stack, tunneling, etc).
    Describe IPv6 addresses
    Identify and correct common problems associated with IP addressing and host configurations
    Configure, verify, and troubleshoot basic router operation and routing on Cisco devices

Describe basic routing concepts (including: packet forwarding, router lookup process)
    Describe the operation of Cisco routers (including: router bootup process, POST, router components)
    Select the appropriate media, cables, ports, and connectors to connect routers to other network devices and hosts
    Configure, verify, and troubleshoot RIPv2
    Access and utilize the router to set basic parameters.(including: CLI/SDM)
    Connect, configure, and verify operation status of a device interface
    Verify device configuration and network connectivity using ping, traceroute, telnet, SSH or other utilities
    Perform and verify routing configuration tasks for a static or default route given specific routing requirements
    Manage IOS configuration files. (including: save, edit, upgrade, restore)
    Manage Cisco IOS
    Compare and contrast methods of routing and routing protocols
    Configure, verify, and troubleshoot OSPF
    Configure, verify, and troubleshoot EIGRP
    Verify network connectivity (including: using ping, traceroute, and telnet or SSH)
    Troubleshoot routing issues
    Verify router hardware and software operation using SHOW & DEBUG commands.
    Implement basic router security
    Explain and select the appropriate administrative tasks required for a WLAN

Describe standards associated with wireless media (including: IEEE WI-FI Alliance, ITU/FCC)
    Identify and describe the purpose of the components in a small wireless network. (Including: SSID, BSS, ESS)
    Identify the basic parameters to configure on a wireless network to ensure that devices connect to the correct access point
    Compare and contrast wireless security features and capabilities of WPA security (including: open, WEP, WPA-1/2)
    Identify common issues with implementing wireless networks. (Including: Interface, missconfiguration)
    Identify security threats to a network and describe general methods to mitigate those threats

Describe today’s increasing network security threats and explain the need to implement a comprehensive security policy to mitigate the threats
    Explain general methods to mitigate common security threats to network devices, hosts, and applications
    Describe the functions of common security appliances and applications
    Describe security recommended practices including initial steps to secure network devices
    Implement, verify, and troubleshoot NAT and ACLs in a medium-size Enterprise branch office network

Describe the purpose and types of ACLs
    Configure and apply ACLs based on network filtering requirements.(including: CLI/SDM)
    Configure and apply an ACLs to limit telnet and SSH access to the router using (including: SDM/CLI)
    Verify and monitor ACLs in a network environment
    Troubleshoot ACL issues
    Explain the basic operation of NAT
    Configure NAT for given network requirements using (including: CLI/SDM)
    Troubleshoot NAT issues
    Implement and verify WAN links

Describe different methods for connecting to a WAN
    Configure and verify a basic WAN serial connection
    Configure and verify Frame Relay on Cisco routers
    Troubleshoot WAN implementation issues
    Describe VPN technology (including: importance, benefits, role, impact, components)
    Configure and verify a PPP connection between Cisco routers

8. BosonMichael

There's plenty... mostly stuff that doesn't get implemented on Cisco devices. Stuff on bus networks, cable types and lengths, connector types... none of which is needed for the CCNA. And that's just stuff off the top of my head - there's plenty of others that can be found in the Network+ concept list.

Keep on trolling me, Daniel. It is clear what your purpose is. :dry

9. danielno8

Cable types/connectors/types of networks are all covered in the CCNA Syllabus.

Lets leave this here though as you are now resorting to calling me a troll simply because i disagreed with your comment. It's clear further discussion will serve no purpose.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  10. BosonMichael

No; I'm calling you a troll because you specifically seek me out to challenge me. Your trolling of me is constant, Daniel. And I'm more than a little tired of it.

11. danielno8

Get over yourself mate.

12. greenbrucelee

actually you do come across as I am right and your wrong type of attitude and a how dare you offend someone with your sense of humor and you should tell nice knock knock jokes attitude.

I think you should get over yourself, now I am not sticking up for BM because he can do that for himself quite well. There's no harm in having a different opinion to someone else but saying I am right and no one else isn't the best way to go about things.

13. diesel

diesel Bit Poster

Maybe I'm tuned to the wrong frequency having been away from the forum for a while but I've just had a read through some past posts to track the history of this tet-a-tet and I don't get that impression at all.

I get the impression that he's just got pi**ed off with being told only a certain members point of view on matters counts and that his personal experience on certain topics isn't valid. Even when he presents solid evidence, a la his previous posts on the Cisco v Net+ debate, he now gets accused of trolling.

14. greenbrucelee

Not just this thread, have a look at his posts. BM says the sky is blue daniel says its not.

15. danielno8

All i do is give my opinion and try best i can to back it up with my reasons behind forming this opinion. Is it possible to have an argument and back up your own view point, but at the same time think the other person is right?

Perhaps you could elaborate on what you mean in the second half of that sentence. I am a fan of Frankie Boyle, so it's unlikely i have any issues with "offence" in humour. (humour being the operative word).

16. danielno8

Repped for seeing past the troll comments.

17. danielno8

FYI it's black....atm

18. diesel

diesel Bit Poster

I have, I looked way back before posting. I actually agree with most of the stuff he was saying. Like I said, most of the time it seemed to me he was just defending his right to have his own opinion.

19. greenbrucelee

Maybe if you rephrased things better it would sound less antagonistic.

Your comment on my comment on Kobems post about changing his name. You may hve given that guy the benefit of the doubt but some of us have put up with 4 years of him and he is either the biggest troll there has ever been or he has some sort of mental issues.

You read all 981 posts since this afternoon, you must be a quick reader like Jonny 5.

20. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

There is an element of theoretical knowledge in any exam. Yes, the CCNA covers WAN and LAN (I’m taking this back to basics) and so does the Network+

The difference is that the Network+ is aimed towards networking theory which can help when studying for many different certifications such as the CCNA and some MS exams as well. (e.g subnetting which is covered in the 70-291)

Well you asked, the Network+ covers the basic theory for wireless networks (just an example I picked from the Network+ objectives), is any of this covered in the CCNA?

3.4 Implement a basic wireless network
    • Install client
    • Access point placement
    • Install access point
    o Configure appropriate encryption
    o Configure channels and frequencies
    o Set ESSID and beacon

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs