Should I bother with CCENT with no experience?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by HalfPastJohn, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's a common misconception. The CCNA in no way obsoletes the Network+ certification. One is a vendor-neutral certification that covers networking theory... one is a vendor-specific certification that covers implementation of that theory on Cisco devices.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

fixed

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. BosonMichael

Actually, I meant what I said. Very little of the Cisco exam deals with raw, unimplemented theory.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  4. danielno8

I can't seem to find any evidence this is true.

Here is a small part of the topics tested on the CCNA:

Describe how a network works

•Describe the purpose and functions of various network devices
    •Select the components required to meet a network specification
    •Use the OSI and TCP/IP models and their associated protocols to explain how data flows in a network
    •Describe common networked applications including web applications
    •Describe the purpose and basic operation of the protocols in the OSI and TCP models
    •Describe the impact of applications (Voice Over IP and Video Over IP) on a network
    •Interpret network diagrams
    •Determine the path between two hosts across a network
    •Describe the components required for network and Internet communications
    •Identify and correct common network problems at layers 1, 2, 3 and 7 using a layered model approach
    •Differentiate between LAN/WAN operation and features

I'm sure you are already familiar with these, but for me this is raw unimplemented theory.

What is there in the Network+ (theory wise) which isn't taught in the CCNA, which justifies you saying the CCNA only teaches implementation of theory taught in Network+?

5. BosonMichael

Believe what you will, Daniel. Big surprise that you don't agree with me. :rolleyes:

For what it's worth, yes, they do test on those concepts... primarily, as they relate to implementing them, troubleshooting them, or otherwise dealing with them on Cisco devices. I'm sure you can dig up a handful of theory-only questions, but for the most part, the exam deals with practical application.

But don't take my word for it. After all, I only write questions that enable people to pass the live exam. <shrug>

I've given my opinion, and you've given yours. Let's leave it at that.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

correct me if I am wrong whilst both may teach the basics doesn't configuring and managing a normal router have differences when it to configuring and managing a cisco one?

Network+ is vendor-neutral, whereas CCENT & CCNA are specialized. CCENT & CCNA test your knowledge of basic networking skills and your ability to configure, troubleshoot, and maintain Cisco devices. Network+ exam tests on general networking competencies and not on specific networking hardware

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. BosonMichael

That's irrelevant; Network+ doesn't teach you how to "configure and manage a normal router".

8. greenbrucelee

well it tells you how to set one up.:D

9. teixeira.jpt

teixeira.jpt Bit Poster

I done the CCENT instead of n+ my first day at work today still in training but all ready configured a cisco ata. It's all down to tech employer uses but do get a Microsoft mcdst or something along those lines as it is very handy.

Side note peeved at having to pay £6 to get my mcdst certificate from microsoft ..

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Does it? Things must have changed then, it was all about routing when I did the Network+ back in 1986. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. BosonMichael

Not really. Network+ gives you networking theory; it doesn't really tell you how to set up a generic router. The knowledge you gain while learning the Network+ concepts may come in handy when learning the process of how to set up a router, however. This is why I recommend pursuing Network+ before the CCENT/CCNA.

12. danielno8

In order to pass the Cisco exam, you have to know the theory which is taught in the Cisco syllabus (and also the network+). So although many of the questions may be practical based, you are also certifying that you know theory, as without it you could not pass the exam.

This is why i disagree with your point that the Cisco cert only certifies implentation of theory learned in the Network+.

13. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I've done the Cisco Academy curriculum at school and it was very specific to Cisco routers/switches. Sure it encompasses general theory here and there, but it's not Network+. Like Michael said, it's a misconception. When I did my Network+ 5 years ago it was all about general network knowledge, there was no specific sections about configuring routers or switches, etc.. It talked about different types of protocols, subnetting, IPv4, data encapsulation, etc. Sure CCNA touches base on that and CCENT does to, the end result is that CCNA goes deeper into router configs, etc specific to their routers. Which is why those who do work with Cisco can benefit from this exam and those who don't, don't benefit much.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  14. danielno8

I'm sorry but this is just not true. Yes the CCNA goes into how to configure stuff on a Cisco router, but this is in addition to the theory behind everything you are configuring. It doesn't just "touch base" on subjects such as subnetting IPv4 etc.

What exactly do you mean by "goes deeper into router configs, etc specific to their routers"? Deeper than what?

The network+ is all about general network knowledge. I get that. My point is the CCNA teaches basic network theory also. Yes, it also adds how to implement this theory on their router, i'm not saying it doesn't.

15. greenbrucelee

But why do you need to know how to configure cisco kit when configuring cisco kit isn't done by entry level people?

16. danielno8

This is not the topic of discussion, nor a point i made.

Just to be clear, my response was to the claim that Network+ certified theoretical knowledge, and CCNA certified implementing the theory taught in Network+. My opinion is CCNA is certifying theory learned within Cisco's CCNA syllabus.

17. BosonMichael

My point is, and always has been, the CCNA is not "everything you learn in Network+ and then some". Said differently, the CCNA does not replace Network+, because the CCNA does not cover everything learned in Network+.

18. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

Being someone who has done both, i think the following.....

Network+ - Vendor neutral, gives you a basic understanding of networking concepts. This is like a 10000 ft view of networking fundamentals

CCENT - Vendor Specific, gives you the basic concepts again but you also learn Cisco's IOS. This is like a 5000 ft view of networking fundamentals

I done the Network+ after my CCENT because it was on the bonus scheme at my work (more money!! :D) and with the knowledge from the CCENT I still needed to read up on some of the stuff for the Net+ as some of the terminology is different, some of the questions are linux based etc etc.

Conclusion...... Having both wont hurt as they are both entry level certs and would show you have a good understanding of the fundamentals of networking; so go forth and multiply!

Cheers
    Jon

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNP R&S, CCDA, CCNA Voice, CCNA Wireless & CCNA Security
    WIP: CCIE V5 (when its out)
  19. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

How is it not true? CCNA touches theory, so does MCSA/MCSE, so do tons of of other higher certs... it doesn't mean that the CCNA is intended as a low level cert... It specifically teaches you about Cisco equipment... Does it teach you how to configure other routers? It's specialized for Cisco equipment.

What I meant by "goes deeper into router configs, etc specific to their routers" is that CCNA teaches a lot more on how to configure their own equipment rather than just teaching you general theory like Network+ would, which is what needed for someone who's a beginner. Please don't misunderstand my statement, am sure on a general theory level, CCNA might help to some extent, but I still do think that Network+ would be better for a beginner.

Look I followed my own advice and it got me a Network Admin position... I only said it because it worked for me so... Although I don't configure Cisco routers, I do configure Juniper routers/firewalls, etc... Yes theory is the same but it's a different beast.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  20. danielno8

My point was not to argue which is better for a beginner. That has been done to death and the consensus on this forum is the network+ is what someone with no experience in the IT industry should do.

My point was to BM's comment regarding CCNA only certifying you in the implementation of theory which has been learned elsewhere. This is not true. If someone passes the CCNA, they have to have learned the BASIC networking theory, which you learn while studying for the CCNA. Whether someone should do this if the are a beginner in IT, and not working with Cisco routers, is a totally separate discussion.

If you have a list of exam topics for the Network+, i would like to see this, as i cannot seem to find the Network+ syllabus. I would like to know what all this extra theory which is taught in Network+ is.