Sharepoint 2010 Project

Discussion in 'Software' started by Theprof, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I've been assigned a new a project, setting up our SharePoint 2010 environment. So far I am looking at doing a 2 server farm with SQL Server 2008 R2 on a separate box. I might even go as far as clustering the SQL servers as well. I think we'll be moving to a SQL server 2008 environment soon from 2005 and our 2005 SQL servers are clustered.

I am going to start spec'ing to see what I need then order the hardware and start working. We've already purchased all the licensing.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Good stuff!

Have you been using SharePoint in your organisation before?

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Not going Virtual?

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Just the free version of Share Point Services 2/3

This time we're redesigning our entire SharePoint site. I've been asked to get it integrated into our system and someone else will design the actually intranet page. Should be an interesting experience, never really played with SharePoint much other than installing SharePoint Services.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Not for this project, we received a free server so my boss want to use that instead. I just had to make sure from a spec'ing point, that the server meets the requirements which it did and it has 2 years of hardware warranty.

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Sharepoint can be a fairly complex product once you get into it.

Are you doing all the design work yourself? E.g workflow management

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Indeed that's what I hear... one of the "biggies" along with Exchange, OCS/Lync, FIM... I think I should at least give it a go someday, but I'm not sure I can cram 'knowledge' of that application into my feeble brain.

Coincidentally, it seems that SharePoint is quite an emerging technology and we are constantly being challenged by the lack of SPS consultants internally within MCS. When we do hire one, they guy disappears for a long time at customer A or B due to the massive demand.

Something for people to think about here if you're thinking of what to become an expert on and you like working with Microsoft products. The demand is most certainly there, at least in Switzerland.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Would have to agree – had to turn down some Sharepoint work last week which was a shame but had to hold my hands up and say I didn’t have enough experience to take on the project.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I completely agree with you guys! I'll be working with a consultant on the design.

My boss asked how comfortable I was, I told him I knew a little but would need help. I just finished installing Win2k8R2 today, and next week I'll be calling the consultant to start the work. Right now it's a matter of getting SharePoint up and running and then build on the foundation. I am also responsible for integrating into our network, etc...

10. NeedMoreSleep

NeedMoreSleep Bit Poster

Good luck with SharePoint, it is a bit of a beast and out of the box there are quite a few things you think it should be able to do which it can't (even simple things like in a links list, you can't specify that links should open in a new window). That's where Codeplex comes in handy. The integration with OCS and Outlook is pretty sweet though and the MySites in 2010 is way way better than in 2007. I love it and hate it in equal measures but then again I don't get to spend enough time on it to properly get my teeth into it.

Have fun.

Certifications: MCSA+Messaging
    WIP: MCITP:Enterprise Admin