Shared Calendar in Exchange

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nelix, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Hi All

How would I go about creating a shared calendar in outlook so that everyone in our office has access to it. I know I can do this in Outlook but I was wanting to know if this can be done on the server instead.

Derek

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Probably best to create it in the Exchange public folders and then set up permissions for the users that need access to the calendar. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Arn't public folders being replaced in exchange 2007 with sharepoint stuff?

We use a mailbox with exchange for our IT support that all techs have access to. Just add them to the ACL of the mailbox so that they can open it and they can open and use the calendar.

It's just another way.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

someone, somewhere, mentioned google calendar.

5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Nopes.

Micro$oft chickened out again after much hand-wringing from major corporates too stupid to realise that Public Folders are a dirty hangover from the days before Windows was a Directory-Service aware O/S.

Public Folders should have gone the way of the Dodo with the release of Exchange 2000, definitely should have been dead and buried with 2003 and the decision taken to stave off their execution in the next release of Exchange is the stupidest, most pathetic stepdown in M$' long history of kowtowing to corporates. There isn't a mail admin on God's Earth who doesn't agree with this, yet there are a number of very influential corporate IT directors who go nuts at the very thought of them being phased out.

This, along with the shelving of the change from the Jet DB engine to SQL Server for Exchange's Information Stores, is the main reason I am less than excited about E2K7

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep, they probably should have been phased out... but I've got 11,000 fax contacts in a public folder that my employees use. I dread the day when public folders are permanently removed.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. quackers

quackers Nibble Poster

Any ideas on how to setup a public calendar in exchange 2007? When i try and create one via outlook 2003, i get a permissions error.

I've created a public folder via the command line in exchange 2007, but i need it to be a calendar.

Anyone got any ideas, i really need to get this working

Certifications: Degree, A+
    WIP: CCNA, MCDST
  8. quackers

quackers Nibble Poster

do you think i could create a new user and share their calendar?

Certifications: Degree, A+
    WIP: CCNA, MCDST
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Can you log onto the Exchange server and open Exchange System Manager? In there you can configure permissions for public folders and then you can create a mail enabled public folder or a calendar. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. ajs1976

ajs1976 Byte Poster

If you have Exchange 2003 or older, just create a public folder of type calendar and set the permissions. If you have Exchange 2007, I believe public folders have been replaced with resource mailboxes.

I think part of the problem with getting rid of public folders is the outlook client. When a version before Outlook 2007 is configured to connect to an exchange server through mapi, it expects to be able to find the Public information store. If it does not find it, it does not connect properly. The version of exchange after 2007 will not have public folders or at least that is what I heard in one of the webcasts, but that could change before it is released.

Certifications: MCSE, CCEA, Sec+, L+, N+
    WIP: 2008, CAG, or CCENT (not sure)