Shameless plug and a cry for help.

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by nugget, Jan 23, 2004.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi all, just knocked up a quick website for my wife and I would like some feedback.

Please (if you don't mind helping) check it out and tell me what is good, not so good or any improvements I could make. Be honest and also brutal when needed, I can take it as it's my first try and I'm not (yet) a pro.

http://www.artbyfranziska.com/

Thanks for the help and advice.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The first thing that stands out is dead links for the two header images in the top frame. The location are still for your c: drive

and the images are very large in size both filesize and image width. You get horizontal scroll even on 1024x768.

HTH, I'll be happy to help you with anything else just ask.

Si

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks Si. I went to work this morning and saw the same thing but I thought it was a problem from the Mozilla browser.

Came home and thought I fixed the problem. It shows up ok on my computer, but I guess it's because the links are local.

So, I've now rebuilt the site cache and uploaded again and I hope it's fixed.

As for the size of the graphics, I don't really know how far I can compress and reduce the size without losing quality. I'll see what I can do.

Thanks again.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

You'll get a better quality image if its smaller in size and if you still want to have the large images why not have a hyperlink to them that opens in a parent browser window. You could do a little extra with the window like remove all the toolbars etc so you have more screen space.

You really need to design your site in 800x600 because if you dont visitors will get p'ed off with having to scroll left and right to see a full image. If you srink this site down it will fit 800x600 as I dont use fixed width tables.

HTH

5. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

A nice looking site and interesting products. However, I found that there is no link for the necklaces option in the menu, Nugget.

Certifications: MOS Master Instructor
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Typical Rosy :roll:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks for the replys.

Rosy
    I tried explaining to my wife about this sort of thing but she has no idea about the internet. She just wants it on there asap, no excuses, so there it is.

Si
    I'll do this when I learn how.

Sorry but I haven't noticed this.

Sort of tried doing this. The graphics in the top frame are a bit less than 800 pixels but I don't yet know how to control it for the main frame.

As for the photos, I've still a lot to learn about how to take a good clear closeup of the stuff.

Thanks again. :oops:

8. SimonV
    Honorary Member

in you HTML add target="_blank" before a href link.

What software are you using, I'd be happy to give you any help as I've used frontpage and dreamweaver alot and know quite a bit of HTML :D

9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks Si
    I'm using Dreamweaver MX 2004 :noob . I suppose like anything new it will take a while to know how to use it and what I'm doing. :tomato
    Guess I'll just :study ,then I'll :readFAQ, then :bud into the fray.

Thanks for the tip.

10. SimonV
    Honorary Member

I've not used MX04 yet, I'm using the previous MX version, like I say if you need any help just shout :thumbleft

11. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

Hi Nugget

Can't help with the HTML side of things I'm afraid but here's my initial thoughts. The necklaces hyperlink is not working at all (don't know if it is supposed to or not?) and there is now how to order, contact details (I know that more information is a mailto but it would be nice to have the info available direct from the site.

HTH

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA