Setup or WINNT for NT/2000/XP install

Discussion in 'A+' started by Professor-Falken, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

Setup.exe is the program to start an installation/upgrade from Windows 9x/Me. But can you use WINNT OR WINNT32 for a clean installation of Windows NT/2000/XP or do you also call on the Windows NT/2000/XP SETUP program?

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

From memory,

setup.exe is the command to start the install or when you have copied the cab files from the CD-ROM to the hard drive to install (98- quicker method).

winnt would start the install process from a 16 Bit environment i.e network install. (XP)

winnt32 would start the install from a 32 Bit environment, ie upgrade process or re-install from the Windows desktop. (XP)

Hope this helps.

Si (off to find out more information for you)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

It helps but isnt there a setup.exe on the Windows 2000/XP disk?
    Isnt this file for used for a clean install of Windows 2000/XP?
    Isnt WINNT / WINNT32 only for ugrade scenarios?

I need to get this clear

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I honestly don't mean to be rude, but after reading your posts, you *really* need to learn to make use of the best tool a tech can have: Google. A tech who is not self-reliant will *not* make it far in an IT career, I can promise you that.

The very first hit I get on Google for "setup.exe" winnt winnt32 is this one. Didn't even have to dig for it.

Hope this helps, and that you do not take my advice the wrong way. I wish you the best of luck in your studies!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Hey - don't think thats rude Michael

This is what you usually get on most forums:

[​IMG]

:biggrin

Seriously though prof - he's right. Google is the best tool ever invented for technical information, and 15 seconds of work on there can save you an hour waiting for someone to post the information you need as a reply to a forum post

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em