setup a home test domain

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by mojorisin, May 25, 2005.

1. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

I setting up a home test domain for studying purposes

currently studying 70-270

Probably using windows 2003 smb server as the domain controller as hopefully this will be ok for the windows 2003 server exam track(when i get there)

this will also let me play with ISA and Exchange in a domain enviroment

I was thinking of registering a domain name that would be used on my home domain to make it more like a real world scenario then i can setup ISA and Exchange to work for real rather than just local, this would be linked up to my ADSL line

Do you think the setup would be benificial to my studies especially the domain name setup

any thoughts would be appreciated

cheers
    Mick

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

There are differences between Windows Server 2003 and SMS. Here are a few links:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/features/compareeditions.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/evaluation/features/default.mspx

Hope that helps.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. mojorisin

Thanks for the links i will have a look at the differences :biggrin

But what about the basic concept of the domain setup would it be beneficial to have a domain name to mimic a real world scenario ?

wether this is with 2003 server or 2003 smb server

cheers
    Mick

4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I think you may need to think a bit more about routers, firewalls and fixed IP addresses, esp if you want to run exchange. Will your ISP support you running a exchange, don't know if they care or not :dry

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. mojorisin

i have all the relevant kit for doing this wireless adsl router, pc's etc

The only thing that would need a work around is my ip address from my ISP is dynamic

but i could use one of the dynamic dns sites to get around this problem

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Oooh, who's got the grumpy hat on today ? LOL j/k

Simple answer here - 99.9999 (recurring)% no, they won't support you using Exchange. However, Exchange can be configured with the necessary settings to allow you to access the relevant pop/imap boxes that they probably give you as standard.

On a side note, I recently asked my ISP if they provided static IPs, as I want to set up a server at home - but they only do this for business packages ! Having worked for an ISP recently, I know it is relatively easy to configure with minimal effort on their part. Bummer.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. mojorisin

There are loads of ISP's that supply static addresses usually one but upto 16 with some if you can justify the need for that many

My ISP (PlusNet) supplies one static IP on there Premier and PAYGO accounts but not Broadband Plus which iam on

I know i could have chose an account that would give me the static IP but then i would have had a download limit this way the only limit i have is throttled speeds for P2P downloads which i never really use anyway

So is the domain name a good idea then ?

What ISP are you with then Jakamoko

8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Zen Internet are very good and give a single or 8 static IP's even on consumer 'home' accounts at no extra charge. I have used them on and off for a few years, and their service is excellent. No download limits either.

Having said that, they are a bit steeper than other ISP and haven't yet jumped onto the price war bandwagon. They reduce occationally, but not enough to make them truly competetive in my opinion. Which is why I just migrated to Pipex and got 1Mb (unlimited) for 23.99 PM, which is about 6 or 7 quid cheaper than Zen.

Certainly if you want a low cost static IP soltion without any limits on up/downloads, then Zen are a good choice.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  9. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Strangley enough I asked my ISP (NTL) the same question about static IP addys coz I wanted to use exchange on the outside of my router to try and cut out some of the spam. But they don't, at least to domestic users. :x

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Yup, same story. Tiscali wont do it for me. My previous comment about actually implementing static IPs is from experience of working for an (unnamed) ISP in my last job. I know if someone whined enough, we could have it in place in a matter of hours.

The fun was usually trying to convince them that they only had to log off/ back on again in order to pick up the static, instead of making some massive configuration changes in a mystical hidden file somewhere !!! :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Ive alwasy had static IPs on my home ADSL connections since i started using it back in 1998
    Demon 2MB trial lasted 2 years, free 2mb ADSL for 2 years, aye that was bliss :)
    Force9/Plusnet also gave me a static, think I can still remember it too
    and I pay extra to get one with bulldog, who absolutely suck, but none the less im tied to them until september, ill prob be moving to nildram or zen, or back to F9 if they can provide me a decent array of IPs
    tis a shame coz my IP is pretty easy to remember at the moment

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  12. mojorisin

Anyway what about the domain name thing for setting up a home domain ?:blink

sorry just want to know if this is a good way to go as .co.uk addresses are only about £6.99 for 2 years