SETTING UP A WIRELESS NETWORK?

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, Sep 30, 2007.

1. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

As long as his wireless network cards on the PC's can talk to the router (compatible with the "N" spec) then Gaming will not be effected. This is as long as his Xbox/Playstation, etc wireless adapter also supports the "n" specification. Honestly, he would have been better off getting "wireless G".

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Thanks derkit for your help:thumbleft:clap:rocks

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Oh nuts! Not sure if I can suggest taking it back again for a third time and stating he should of gone for G?

It states on the box it is compatible with 802.11b/g/n draft??

However, it doesn't state if it is compatible with vista:blink

4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks Mac, Surprising enough they were OK about it! 8)

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

As N (I think) isn’t finalised yet it may be an option to go for the G spec router. It will be fine for gaming however if you are getting a poor wireless connection (too many APs around!) then you can patch directly into the router if it has an inbuilt switch (the Netgear unit I linked previously has this)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks Sparky! If there are no network cards out there that support N why have they released N routers on the market?

Also does that netgear support vista?

EDIT: Oh wait:oops: there are network cards what I mean is if N is unrealiable how can they get away with selling it on the market??:blink

7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

8. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Don't lose sleep over it....

The PCs/laptop with in-built WICs will only support 'g', but his new router should interact with them at that speed just fine (that usually means anyone else connecting at the same time will also only get g-speed, so you need to bear that in mind).

To get 'n' speed he will need a n-specced WIC, and because the standard is still not completely standardised, he may be restricted to ones released by the same manufacturer. But, that means n-speed is available, but would involve the purchase of the better spec'd cards, which look expensive.

As the standard is ratified, if there are any changes, then more than likely there will be firmware downloads to update the router - that's how they can 'release it now.'

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  9. Sparky

Basically the N spec hasn’t been finalised yet so that’s why there may be problems with some devices.
    The Netgear has a web interface so you just need to fire up IE (or whatever browser you use) to access it.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  10. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Although you can buy "n" stuff, it hasn't yet been standardized. Think of it like the DOM and browsers. Different browsers had their own ideas as to what the DOM was and so implemented different functions. Its the same with the "n" specification. One manufacturer will slap the label "n" on a product that is incompatible with another manufacturers "n" product. Until 802.11n is standardized, you can never be sure that your "n" equipment will talk to other "n" equipment. Manufacturers are under NO obligation to follow standards though. This is why, until it is standard, you are best off buying "n" products from the same manufacturer. Since your router supports "G", you will be fine. Your router speed will depend on the lowest common denominator of networks cards on your network (so make sure "G" is the lowest you use). :D

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  11. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I would suggest that if he is a *keen* games player then the machine that he mostly uses for this should be connected via ethernet. WiFi introduces a higher 'ping time' compared to ethernet, and this may not please him!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  12. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks everyone for the advice!!:biggrin

I've hit another problem and that is i can't connect to the net through the modem router, I have checked the cables, followed the quick installation instructions and ran the CD setup. the ip address on the router starts with 192. x . x . x address and yet the ip address on the speed touch starts off with 82 . x . x . x

The ADSL is a dynamic IP address and ADSL settings are on PPPoATM VC Null Encapsulation. If I ping the router through IE using the 192 address I can see the LAN card IP address and MAC but if try change the ip address on the router from 192 to 82 then I get another message box stating I must state the ip address with 192 for a router?:blink

13. Sparky

Speed touch? Is that a typo mate, do you mean the belkin unit?

I havent used the Belkin unit before but I assume it should have the 82.x.x.x IP for the ADSL\WAN port but it will also have a LAN IP. This is probably 192.168.0.1 or something like that and you cant change this to be a 82.x.x.x as this is a published IP address whereas 192.x.x.x is a reserved class C LAN subnet.

You need to make sure that the gateway IP on the PC\Laptop is the LAN IP of the Belkin.

14. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Don't worry about the IP addresses, let the ISP and router set those up for themselves.

Make sure on the router set up, the VPI/VCI settings are correct for your ISP

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  15. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

ok I have obtained the VCI/VPI settings but when I run the setup it ask to choose an option for encapsulation on vcmaux or lc. The ISP states Null for VC??

After entering the username and password I then get no packets received through the LAN connection and a Limited and no connectivity shown.

But If i disconnect the Router-Modem from the ADSL filter (RJ11) and connect the usb Modem with the RJ11
    connector to the adsl filter it goes straight through to the interent stating the router is now connected and working, but how can it be when it's not connected directly to the modem and goes through a PC on a LAN network!:(

16. hbroomhall

192.xxx is correct. This is NAT working.

The PC should have "get address automaticaly" (or similar) enabled.

Try pinging the documented default IP address of the router, which will be also in the 192 range.

If that works then try pointing IE at that address - you should get the admin page for the router.

VCMUX is normal for UK. And VPI/VCI should be 0,38.

Harry.

17. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks Harry, I can see the admin page but I can't see how access the modem inside the router?:blink

I have just found the link for the Belkin Router product spec

18. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

UCM,

its normally your gateway...

start > run > cmd
    ipconfig
    and type in the gateway in your web browser...

19. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Do I have input the DNS address or will the router-modem find it?

20. hbroomhall

The modem info will be part of the router pages. They are nearly always integrated.

You normaly need to just setup the username and password and you are away.

There should be a page showing the modem stats/info.

Also - who is the ISP here? Some of them are bit non-standard.

Harry.