Setting up a medium sized network at home!!

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Node, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Node

Node Byte Poster

ahhh ok that would be perfect for me then!! Ill just buy 3 more sticks of ram to start with then. Iv also got an old Sempron AM2 Ghz with 512MB DDR2, just wandering if i bother upgrading that to 1 GB if it would take 1 VM.

Certifications: MCSA, MCSE,
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Just want to add a couple of less technical points :)

Node - looks like a great setup, and a nice thread to boot. I wish you all the best with your studies.

I'd go with the boys on the VM setup - that's what I'm leaning towards, as space is currently at a premium at home. But there again so is money, which leads me onto the second point, which is I think you're all paid too much (cough cough Pheo cough cough).

Thirdly, I'm not sure how it compares market-wise, but we use Command AV, and it seems to operate nicely, so you may want to add it to your 'check out' list. However, looking at the setup you're planning on having, I would personally try out Kaspersky.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

For the sake of testing you could probably put all of this on one server to be honest mate. In the ‘real world’ it’s best to spread the roles over many servers as you have shown in Visio pic which is a big plus point. Some peeps do put SQL server on DCs <sigh>

For AV perhaps try NOD32? 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Node

Node Byte Poster

Thank you! Yeh it does cost abit but my work dont mind helping me out with purchasing the licenses its just the hardware, i was looking to buy couple of old pc's 1ghz from ebay for around £25-£30. But i might just upgrade the ram on my existing one and only buy one more old machine and that should be enough i think ill VM everything else. lol my salary is a joke!!! Anyway i was looking into kaspersky and panda, i might go with Mcafee, Kaspersky or Nod32.

Thanks for your input.

5. Node

Node Byte Poster

hehehe Sparky, but im not sure if my server can handle 5 VM running at the same time with a good uptime.

6. Node

Node Byte Poster

OH DEAR GOD! Just looked at memory prices today, i was gobsmacked!!! 512MB DDR2 from £5.50 and 1GB DDR2 from £11!!!! Buying 3GB DDR2 PC5300 for my server and upgrading my sempron to 2GB as well :) Once everything arrives, i will look at restructuring the network with VM and post back a new diagram :)

7. vlb

vlb Byte Poster

man that looks sweet

what are you using for a firewall??

Certifications: MCDST, MCP 70-294
    WIP: MCSE
  8. Node

Node Byte Poster

Not sure yet, still planning heheheh. Well i tried setting up VMware ESX today... no luck dont really have a clue how to set it up for some reason iv got a Linux ISO for it :S going to retry downloading it from VMwares website again, also whats VMware Server? Should i just use Vmware Workstation ACE, im a bit more familiar with ACE as i have used it before.

9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

ESX will unlikely work on any old whitebox, I blogged about a nice whitebox set up I had, but ESX has quite strict hardware requirements

VMWare Server is your best bet, and 2.0 is currently in beta :)
    that sits ontop of a windows box

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. Node

Node Byte Poster

ahh ok, well i installed VMware server and enabled IIS on vista, but when i run the application its asking me to give it a host to connect to... why the hell does it need a host to connect to? Isnt it like VMware ACE?

11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Let me just download 2.0 and see what its asking you for
    are did you download 1.x?

Ok if its like 1.x
    basically the Server console is just a management interface, you can point it to OTHER vmware server instances on the network, as you only have the one, leave localhost selected and click connect
    then you will see the familiar look and feel of VMWare workstation

12. Node

Node Byte Poster

ahh ok, well i downloaded 1.x, it doesnt actually give the localhost to select, so im assuming i have to enter it myself, but to be honest would i just better suited using ACE? as i will not really be using all the fancy features of Vmware Server. Can ACE support more then one vm running at the same time?

thank you!

13. Ozzy2k7

Ozzy2k7 Nibble Poster

where is your blog as I'd like to see it??

Ozzy

WIP: A+ Network+
  14. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I would suggest that ya do whatever phoenix (ryan) says because he is the man for this stuff:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  15. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Can you post a screenshot of what your seeing when you open VMWare Server
    1.0 actually has less features than Workstation 6 w/ ACE, and is also free
    ACE is just an extension to Workstation 6, it doesn't do anything on its own, its a separate product geared for something totally different than this

Server will run multiple VMs at the same time, i have about 4 running on my file server
    I have 6 - 8 running on my Workstation
    and I have 2 ESX boxes (currently running squat as they are offline for maintenance)

16. Node

Node Byte Poster

oh snap :( i uninstalled Vmware server and bought VMware ACE :S it wont let me install server unless i uninstall ACE and i have 2 os's already installed, so is ACE not the one for the job? Which one do i need to purchase? I like the features which ACE has though!

17. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

I'm assuming you mean you bought VMWare Workstation 6.0 ACE edition?

18. Node

Node Byte Poster

yep that one!

19. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

That will work fine for what you want to do mate
    Server is almost identical but has some of the features missing, not the important ones though

Workstation adds a fair bit of functionality and I recommend it to anyone going with the 'lab' type set up

20. Node

Node Byte Poster

ahh ok thank you! I got my ram through the post today, quickly installed it and off it went ;) Managed to install Vista Ultimate x64 as the base and VM win XP pro and server 2003, only on 2GB of ram! Suprisingly its not that bad at all, very impressed!