Setting up a home lab in the cloud

Discussion in 'Microsoft Azure' started by thetokyoproject, Mar 25, 2020.

1. thetokyoproject

thetokyoproject Byte Poster

Hi,

I've used a HP proliant Microserver and ESXi and Hyper - V before to set up Win Servers, AD, and other app servers for self-study.

I'd like to move with the times and set up the same kinda of lab for Win Server 2016, AD, WIn 10 client, SCCM in the cloud

Is this quite straight forward to do and is one cloud service easier for this than another?

In addition, I presume that if I turn off the cloud VMs when I'm done with a study session, the cost will freeze until the next time I spin up a device?

Any advice or online guides would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Certifications: 271
  2. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

It's completely doable in any of the clouds. But each of them has a whole bunch of ways for you to accidentally spend a lot of money. Especially if you are hosting a VM with a SQL server and so on. So proceed with caution!

If you want to go this way (and you probably should), you might be best off learning the cloud itself first, and then migrating your own labs up there once you have the means to autoprovision and autodestroy the resources and trigger billing alerts. I don't touch SCCM myself, but it must be heavily integrated with Azure by now anyway.

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
  3. thetokyoproject

thetokyoproject Byte Poster

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately. I no longer have the VMs to migrate to the cloud

Certifications: 271